41. Not Friends

———————

———————

Not even a second after Lay left, I hear a bump then groan at the door. My eyes move to detect the noise to see Namjoon after being bumped into by Lay on the way in. Confused, he looks back at me and his face straightens.

"What's up with him? Are you already getting under his skin too?" He smirks and chew my cheek.

"I don't know," I mumble, turning to the bed. I don't even want to deal with his attitude right now.

I try to walk past him, but he grabs my arm.

"What happened?" He asks, not out of concerned, but annoyance. Like he had to ask. I look at his hand and glare at him.

"Nothing. Let go of my arm before you lose the hand."

"It's obviously something, your hand is shaking," he ignores my comment completely, holding my arm up to my eye level to show me. His eyes narrow as he looks at my face, at my chin. Folding under his gaze, I close my fist and yank my arm back.

"I said it's nothing. Don't grab me like that."

He sighs and I turn to the bed, grabbing the box and pulling it off the bed. I push it toward the wall to get it out of the way, wincing when I bump my thigh against the dresser.

Namjoon is on the other side of the room, placing his own things on the desk. I'm not looking, but I can feel him watching me.

"I bet you're excited to be stuck with me for the next while?" Namjoon says, trying to break the silence. It's obvious he senses something is wrong. But he's not my therapist. He's not my friend. He's an ally, a coworker. I respect him in the way somebody should if he saved my life, but nothing more.

I don't know if it's because of what just happened with Lay or the stress of the whole situation we're in, but I feel my blood boil. The fact that he's still the same cocky prick I knew before to get under my skin really pisses me off.

"Why are you talking to me?" I snap, turning around and putting my hand on the dresser behind me. "I understand that we had a moment. We apologized, we set things straight. I'm glad we did, but that doesn't mean I want to talk to you any more than I have to."

I can tell he's shocked. Frankly I am too. But I keep going. Words flow out of my lips without my brain even trying to process them.

"You almost died for me. And I'm grateful for that, if you weren't here, I wouldn't be either. But you can't expect us to be all sunshine and rainbows now because guess what? In case you forgot, we hate each other," I step forward, balling my fists in front of my face.

He stands these, disbelief in his eyes.

"I thought we talked this shit through already. You know why I-"