19. Choice

——————

——————

The words hit me like a truck. I knew what he was saying, but when the words came out, it really hit me hard.

I'm related to the man that I've been trying to kill all my life? He's my uncle? My father's brother?

I look around. Everything is silent. The only sound is the heavy wheezing from Taehyung's chest. I feel eyes burning into my soul as I feel my hand begin to shake.

"You're lying."

"No."

"Then why?!" I cry out. "Why would you murder your own brother? Just because you didn't like how things were running, you decided to just kill him in cold blood?"

"You think I did it for only power? He was driving our company into the ground! Hell, he was actually about to take everything that everybody has worked hard for and leave town with it. How do you think that made me feel? If the others found out, worse things would have been done to him than just being shot in the head."

"What about my mother and sister? They were your family too!"

"They got in the way. Witnesses were the last things we needed."

"You already have some. Sorry. One. Because you murdered the only thing in the world I had left." Tears slide down my cheeks without even realizing it.
"Taking me or killing me is one thing. I'm not in any position to lead. But Seho? If you were trying to find the next heir, you failed. He would have been the next to take over. After the rebellion, he practically would have saved you all."

Hyunsoo clicks his tongue.

"See now that's where you're wrong. Seho wasn't even considered. You would have been next."

"No. He was the next male in the family. That doesn't make any sense to just kill him off like that."

"No, Y/n. He wasn't." He sighs, staring at me. "Piece it together."

I narrow my eyes in confusion. He's not really saying...

"No. Thats not even possible. He's been there my whole life.. my parents were never apart."

"Who's to say that was really your mother?" He tilts his head and a lump forms in my throat.

"That was my mother." I shake my head, not believing it.

"Not biologically."

"What.." I say, it barely comes out as a whisper.

"Your father was married to somebody else before you were born. A beautiful, truly talented woman. A great solider. She was a lot like you combat-wise. She entered the company about seven years before she and your father got together. They fell in love. Inseparable. But then she got pregnant. With you."