Chapter 57. - Irrevocable Shift

A/N: I hope all you are staying safe and doing well. The world continues to be a scary, dark place, especially with the continued oppression of voices going around. If you are feeling mentally exhausted, please know that it is ok. There are people - including myself - who you can talk to. There are free hotlines you can reach out to in order to help you work through what is going on in the world. Just know that you are important, you matter, and I am very happy to have you here.

***

*Gia*

Spring was officially here and that meant that the already forgiving Southern California weather just got even warmer.

The band had been traveling around to give interviews and participate in various press activities around the bigger cities of both coasts, so Ash and I hadn't seen each other since the video shoot. We communicated through texts, but since we've both kept busy they were far and in between. On the evenings where he didn't have a late-night show to attend or some charity game to play in, we Facetimed.

But as much as I grew to depend on his unusual sense of humor, and witty comments, I found that the conversation didn't flow as easily with the distance between us. We often fell into a comfortable, yet lengthy silence - a habit that I didn't pick up on when we were face to face.

I tried not to think anything into it though. Ash wanted me to just go with what felt right and I wanted to focus on the positive attributes of my life. Dom and I had worked out a detailed plan and with the help of my father and his new bride, I was closer to establishing something that I felt could have been my calling. I was working toward a goal that I tailored to myself, keeping only what was going to make me happy in mind. I worked during the day, and in the afternoons, I studied with Albie - who recruited Francine, his girlfriend, into tutoring me as well.

While Hazmat was away, London and I found ourselves with more spare time and we even had a sleepover, just like we used to back in the day.

My journey was slowly shaping into something I was going to be proud of, and I needed to focus on that and not the absence of a specific man in my life.

But this morning, that issue was resolving itself. Hazmat's private jet landed about an hour ago and given the beautiful, sunny day outside, they wanted to relax the way only millionaires knew how. By taking out Ash's rarely used luxury yacht onto the ocean, and sip professionally made cocktails as the Pacific rocked us into a peaceful slumber, of course.

I could've driven myself like the capable adult that I was, but Ash insisted on collecting me himself. I figured it was his way of checking out my new apartment, and I didn't have to be disappointed. "What are you doing?" I questioned, after finding him on the other side of my door, checking out my frame.

His black gaze met mine. "Seeing how solid the material is. It's very easy to break into most places these days."

I lifted a brow at him. "Maybe if you'll behave, you can have a key."

"I thought you wanted me to do the exact opposite." Ash flashed his famous panty-melting smile at me, steering my thoughts right down the so-called gutter. "Can I come in?"

"You can do much more than that." I stepped out of the way, but our eyes remained locked on each other. He waited for the door to shut before pushing me up against it.

"I've been waiting to do this," He whispered into my mouth, lowering his head so it was in level with mine. "I've missed you, red."

"I missed you too," I confessed because that was the truth. As hard as I tried not to focus on that one part of my life that felt empty over the last few weeks, I couldn't erase the part of me that longed for him. "It was-" I trailed off, not finding the right words. It wasn't the same, not having him around. And it was easy to let my mind wander on what would happen if we stayed together and down the line, he would go on a world tour.