Chapter 16. - Bootycall

A/N: Welcome back! Short & sweet, as we are preparing for a big NYE bang! This one is dedicated to Who_Bloody_Cares, who has the most relatable username ever.

***

"I can't believe you've been studying this whole break!" Callie groaned at the other end of the line.

I held my phone closer to my ear. "Some of us have responsibilities." I reminded her.

"I have responsibilities!"

I rolled my eyes. "You just spent four days dune buggying in Dubai! I was here bent over my textbooks." Literally, I thought, reminiscing about the way Ash pounded into me while I hung onto an engineering book for dear life. "But anyways. I will see you at London's New Years party."

I heard her sigh at the other end of the line. "And then it's your birthday – then back to school. I feel like every year we're drifting further apart. Now I have to make an appointment weeks ahead of time if I want to see London! We used to live together!"

"We're adults now, Callie. Things can't stay the same than they were when we were eighteen."

"Yes, now we get to watch London dry-hump the rock star she used to gush over while watching MTV!" We chuckled at the memory. "Look, I just miss you, that's all. You've always been in a relationship with your books, and now Londie-bug is taken too. I just feel like the odd one out."

"Then go back to school," I advised, while my cat settled onto my lap. I started caressing his soft head, in awe of the way he was no longer cautious around me. Every day, Neuro grew braver, and I liked him more and more. "Are you bringing a date for tomorrow night?"

"No. You will be there to keep me company."

I snorted. "Well, maybe I'm bringing a date, then. Has that thought never crossed your mind?!"

"Honestly? No." I could hardly blame her for that. "I have yet to see you interested in a man who didn't have 'doctor' in front of his name, and was closer to retirement than a mid-life crisis."

My phone vibrated with a message, so I put my blonde best friend on speaker and opened the text.

Asshole: Get dressed. Be there in 10.

I frowned at my screen.

Me: Can't do. I'm busy.

Asshole: Do you have someone over?

Me: Yes.

"Ginger, are you listening?!" Callie yelled at the other end of the line, snapping me back to reality.

"Yes!" I breathed, momentarily distracted by that tingling feeling between my legs whenever the opportunity to be around Ash presented itself. "You were saying?"

"About Josh McKenzie, from our high school? I ran into him at the gym today – and let me tell you, the years did that boy justice. He's actually single now. He married that girl he was with in tenth grade, but last year-"

I zoned her out as another message came through from Ash.

Asshole: Your cat doesn't count.

Me: A man. I have a man over. And we're going to have sex.

I only had to wait a heartbeat before his reply came in.

Asshole: You're about to get laid and you're texting with ME? Sounds like a real catch.

Asshole: Or are you relying on me to get you going? You know I know how...

I inhaled, the sound getting through the phone to Callie, who paused. "Is everything okay? You're acting weird."