Chapter 7. - Cognition & Behavior

**Trigger warning**

Also, this chapter is dedicated to TanteShineyHiney ! Thank you for the love!

***

On the way home, we made a quick loop to stop at my favorite vegan takeout place. The drive-through was open 24 hours, which was one of the perks of living close to a university. Lots of fast food places, available around the clock for the tired, worn out kids' delight.

I ordered my favorite food bowl, and even got a cookie as a dessert. After a night like tonight, I felt like I needed to splurge a little.

Ash's bipolar demeanor towards me – although not surprising, nor unexpected – awoken a whirlwind of emotions in me. I was regretful, then confused. But my uncertainty quickly merged into a feminine curiosity at the unspoken promises behind his words. And when he turned cold and nonchalant again, I was left feeling dissatisfied.

Of course, I didn't expect him to suddenly abandon his ways, and profess his undying love to me... Actually, I wasn't sure what I exactly expected him to do.

I obviously didn't want Ash recognizing what we've done in front of my friends – but perhaps speaking to me in private about it would've been best. Just so we knew how to act around each other going forwards.

Because whether or not I liked it, he was inevitable a part of my life too. With London being with his best friend, we would be invited to the same events, or like tonight, run into each other around the people we've had in common.

By the time I reached my apartment, my body felt like a million pounds. It has been a busy week at work, and to distract myself, I've been putting in more hours and pushing my body harder than I've ever done. And it was starting to take a toll.

I was still confused, not as much by Ash's behavior, than my own reaction to it. My head was a mess, I was exhausted, worn out, and ready to unwind and forget these past two weeks have ever happened.

"Text me when you get home safely." I said to Jesse, as he leaned over the seat and pressed his cheek against mine, like we were in some European chic drama.

"Get some sleep. The stack of bags under your eyes are getting larger than the ones Callie keeps stacked in her spare bedroom." He winked at me, before the Uber drove off, and I didn't question how he knew about that.

I walked up the steps to my apartment, half dragging myself. I closed my front door behind me, making sure I locked it, and put the security chain on.

Only when I turned around did I spot the large figure sprawled over my couch.

My first instinct was to scream-

-but I quickly got control of that urge as I grabbed onto the little pepper spray attached to my keychain. With fingers already on the small bottle, I approached. Only when I got close did I recognize the owner of the bulging muscles, long, jet-black hair, and thick, tattooed arms.

"What the fuck!?" I snapped, lowering the spray.

On second thought, I should've just given him a spritz anyways... But it was too late now.

Ash flipped on the lamp next to the couch he was currently occupying. "Hello to you too." He said calmly, his deep voice ringing with humor. He was clearly amused by the fact that he caught me off guard.

"How the hell did you get in my apartment?" I questioned, although, given the fact that he didn't have a key, I already suspected the answer.

Ash shrugged, without the slightest hint of remorse. "I picked the lock."