Chapter 10. - No Sleep for the Wicked

A/N: The title is literally me, because I've been pulling some crazy overtime this last 2 weeks, and ya girl needs a nap, a cocktail, and a solid roll around the hay.

But anyhow... This chapter is dedicated to tr1n23 ! I appreciate the support!

***

The buildings and the lights of the vast city were passing us by in lightning speed. Traffic was scarce and far in between at this hour, and we were headed further and further out of town. I didn't ask where Ash planned on taking me, and he didn't offer the information up. So we rode in silence, the only sound was the soft and unexpected lullaby of a violin that was coming through the speakers.

The thought that I – a short, young female – was alone at night with a man who was a foot and a half taller than me, well-built, and covered in tattoos and piercing, while he was driving us out of town in a late-night hour has occurred to me. I was also painfully aware that I didn't bring my ID, or my phone with me.

But strangely, neither of those facts felt threatening.

I secretly enjoyed Ash's company. I liked his banter, his quick wit, and that he wasn't scared to speak his mind in front of me. I never felt like he looked down on me, or acted like my nascent, feminine brain couldn't handle his big, complicated, manly thoughts.

He treated me as his equal, and if anything, challenged me to bring out a better, sharper version of myself. I found myself wanting to impress him – and I knew that was going to be the beginning of the end.

A short while later, I spotted the ocean. I now recognized the famously scenic highway we were flying down on, as well as the parking spot for the small public beach only the locals liked to visit. Of course, it was December, and the lot was completely empty – aside from Ash's black muscle car.

He chose the spot closest to the water, providing an excellent panorama of the endless body of water below us. Ash made sure to roll the windows down, before turning off the engine.

"Climb up here, red!" He instructed, patting the passenger seat next to himself while our eyes met in the mirror.

I was acutely aware of the fact that my bare ass was right in his face as I hauled myself over the center console, and I would've lied if I said I didn't give my lower back a little extra arch just for the occasion.

Ash's hungry, bottomless eyes were still skimming appreciatively over my body when I settled into the seat. "Great car!" I complimented, not knowing the first thing about motor vehicles. All I knew was that I enjoyed the way Ash weaved in and out of lanes, and the incredible acceleration speed when he did so.

But the stomach-dropping sensation didn't subside when he shut off the motor. If anything, his stare only amplified it.

"This is a spicy Moroccan kale salad," Ash informed me, handing me a small takeout box. "And an avocado puree, with roasted cauliflowers, and potato cutlets." I cocked my head to the side as I watched him unwrap a burger for himself, and then hand me a fork and knife. "Yours is all vegan."

I smiled, my eyes crinkling at the corners as I pretended to push my glasses further up my nose. He was being sweet, and very observant.

"Thank you." I murmured, keeping my gaze locked solely on my plate, and hoping to hide the fact that I found his attentiveness insanely sexy.

"Sure." Ash said, through a mouthful of food.

If he had good taste and extensive knowledge about wine, he surely made up for it with his choice of meal. But I wasn't complaining. Everything he got for me tasted incredible, and I was now in a much better mood.