Chapter 31. - New Beginnings

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to lexington25313 ! Thank you for the love and for keeping up with the story!

***

*Ash*

My phone vibrated with another text.

Red: My father is getting married. Just confessed to dating this girl for over ½ a decade.

I frowned, my fingers already typing out a reply.

Me: Are you ok?

Fuck! I shook my head, deleting the words from the message before I could hit send. I sounded like a fucking pussy, wondering about Gia's feelings. Of course, she was fine. That woman was tough as nails. If anything, it was the new bride who should have been nervous.

Instead, I sent this:

Me: I bet your bangers will look incredible in your bridesmaid dress.

Red: You need serious counseling.

Did I ever.

Me: Where are you now?

Red: Home with Neuro. The talk with my father left me feeling exhausted.

Sighing, I lifted my phone to my ear, my phone ringing daftly four fucking times before the surprised voice came through. "Well, this must be a life-threatening emergency."

"Shut the fuck up." I snapped, instantly annoyed at the smug sound of Jesse's voice. "Are you busy right now?"

"Never too busy for my big brother. What's up?"

"I need a favor." I said through gritted teeth. I hated asking for anything - it showed weakness, a lack of control. And that wasn't my thing. "Well?! Will you do it or not?!"

His chuckle came through the line. "Well-well-well... I thought the day would never come!"

***

*Gia*

I stretched out on the couch, nursing a glass of wine in one hand, while the other rested on Neuro. I gave up on studying a few hours ago, after I've reread the same sentence twenty times, and didn't retain a single crumb of information. My brain was elsewhere and somehow, at the moment, studying didn't seem as important as it used to be.

Instead of burying myself into my textbooks, I found a black and white movie playing on TV - the cheesy, romantic kind London would've fawned over and I would've made fun of a couple of months ago. Now it allowed me to turn off my brain, and simply be.

But my serene state only lasted about twenty minutes before my phone rang. "Hello?" I answered when I saw Jesse's name flash on the screen.

"Open your door." His response came through before the line went dead.

Sighing, I left my comfortable spot on the couch to greet my unexpected visitor. "What brought you here today?" I asked, suspiciously glancing at the clock. It was a few minutes past seven, and Ash was due to show up very soon.

"I brought this-" He produced a bottle of expensive red wine from behind his back, and after a beat, he showed me his other hand. "-and this!"

I took the flash drive from him. "If this is a collection of your nudes, I'm really not in the mood."

Jesse laughed. "It's a couple new songs we are working on - the whole album will be acoustic."

I cocked a brow at him. "Are you four aware that Hazmat is a rock band?"