Chapter 56. - Pieces of a Puzzle

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to every single one of you out there! The world is a difficult, scary place right now, and I want this platform to be a distraction, where you can get lost in the story and forget about the shortcomings of the reality we live in. However, if you need to talk, vent, if you're feeling down, please always know that you can reach out to me <3 My DMs are open. I check my Instagram and Twitter the most (names are at the bottom), PLEASE don't think you don't have anyone to talk to.

Everyone, please stay safe! ALL of you matter to me <3

***

*Gia*

After the video shoot wrapped up, Ash took me to another new-age restaurant for lunch, where he experimented with more healthy food. Not without the groans and moans, I had to admit. But I was appreciative of all the effort he was clearly putting into getting to know each other better. I wasn't sure where things were headed or if we even wanted the same things, but I knew that at this moment in time, it felt good to be around him.

I hummed their new song, Soul Crusher, to myself as I drove home, feeling like I was practically floating on cloud nine. Dom has emailed me over a few documents in the morning, which gave me the headstart I needed to kickstart the rest of my life. I was finally working toward something I felt attainable, something that filled me with a sense of purpose I didn't realize I've lost over the years until I found it once again.

Now all I had to do was convince the other players this was a viable solution to not only my issues, but it could open up doors to a new generation of hungry scientists.

But I had to take it one step at a time. First, I had a meeting with Albie. He was still faithfully tutoring me in what I was missing from the program, sacrificing his own time while simultaneously risking being kicked out for helping me.

His smart car was parked in the spot next to mine, already waiting for me as I rolled up to my new apartment. He got out of the car, waving at me over the top of mine. "For a second I thought you forgot about our date."

I smiled. "How could I? You added it to all my online calendars, including the ones I don't even use." We walked up the steps to my second story haven side by side. "I got you this," I handed him a doggie bag of healthy snacks I've had the restaurant pack for us. Like me, Albie was following a plant-based diet. But unlike me who did it for weight-loss reasons, he did it to save the planet and all the animals on it.

"Smells delicious!" He nodded solemnly, earning another smile from me. I've opened the door and let him inside. "If I didn't know better, I'd think you were buttering me up for something."

"Hmm," I hummed. "And if I was, would I be succeeding?"

He rolled his eyes. "What is this about, Gianna?"

Albie sat down in his usual seat by the counter and I waited until he was fully unpacked from his backpack and comfortable before speaking. "I know you're not thrilled with the school due to recent events-" He opened his mouth but I cut him off. "-but I also know you've made it your goal to graduate on top of the class, and I with me out of the way now, there's no one to compete with you there."

He huffed. "Please! I would've taken the top spot regardless."

"We'll never know now will we?" I chuckled. "Unless..." I trailed off, baiting him.

Predictably, Albie leaned forward. "What do you have in mind?"

Slowly, my lips pulled into a small smile. I've got him.

***

Later on that evening, I was driving to the airport to pick up Callie, who had been in Europe for weeks now on a very prestigious job. London was supposed to join me for this trip, but she had a last moment work emergency at the gallery where they devoted a whole night for her artwork. It has been months since the three of us were under the same roof together, and I wasn't above admitting that my actions had a lot to do with that. Regardless, if someone understood dedication to one's craft, it was me, and I didn't hold London's absence against her.