Chapter 4 - Gurudwara

Piyali and I spent our whole Saturday window shopping. The guys all separated out. Some said they were going to try their luck finding a citizen to marry while others went to see Stanton Island.

We still didn't know much about the city, neither did we have a ton of money to waste. New York was damn expensive.

I was exhausted by the time we returned to the hotel. Piya sprawled over my bed, staring at the ceiling. Rolling my eyes, I took a seat next to her.

"What's the plan for tomorrow?" she asked.

I looked at her and just shook my head. "Nothing, I'm way too tired," I groaned. To be honest, I just wanted to sit and relax, away from everything.

"It's the day right before the meeting," she said, sitting back up. "Maybe we should spend the entire day praying and meditating. Actually, begging to God for a good meeting is what we need."

"Wait! I have a place we can go!" I said as the idea popped in my head.

Immediately, I stood up and ran over to my laptop and flipped it open. I searched the area near me  and found that there were three of them. The nearest one was five minutes away.

Perfect.

"What is it?" asked Piya as she came to my side.

"Tell you tomorrow morning. Be ready by nine," I said, quickly closing in the window.

"Preet, you know I don't work well waiting!" she whined.

"Sorry, but I can't tell you, yet." I shrugged and laid down on my bed.

"I hate you."

"Personal problems."

_______________________

"Gurudwara? Seriously, Preet?" Piyali said as we got out of our cab. "It does explain why you made me wear salwaar kameez."

The guys had refused to come along after they had too much to drink the previous night. I couldn't believe they went out drinking and clubbing without inviting us.

Maybe they thought we'd be safer back at the hotel. They were usually protective of us.

I looked at the building which seemed like one of the nearby houses. Plain white house on the outside, barely any noise, and hardly any people to be seen. The parking lot was full though with cars parked in the grass.

If it weren't for the big sign stating it was a Gurudwara, we would've mistook the place to be an office building or a house. Our Delhi Gurudwaras were heck a lot bigger than this place.

I dragged Piya, groaning. It wasn't that she didn't like Gurudwaras or anything.

She just wasn't religious.

Her parents worked in the army and they never had time to visit temples or other religious places. I usually dragged her with me when my mother forced me to go to gurdwaras.

Once we entered, a big smile came across my lips. The porch had an abundant number of shoes. Piyali and I took ours off and left them there and covered our heads with our dupattas (long scarves). The first room had a little hallway, but mostly it was split between two rooms. One side was the kitchen where a bunch of ladies and a couple of men were preparing food for langar (communal lunch). The other side was where people were eating food. It was really nice to see your own people, speaking the same language and wearing the same attire.

The main room was halfway filled with women sitting on the floor and chatting with each other. This room had another open room attached to it where the men sat. Just a little wall space separated the men from the women.