Chapter 23 Surrender?

Chapter 23 - Surrender?

I made an appointment for next Thursday with Rahul's company. One meeting and it'll decide the destiny of the deal.

In less than seven days.

My mood was on a negative slope.

The worst of the worst was brought by Drishti during our lunch on Monday.

She found out about Rahul and I and kept saying rubbish. Rahul gestured to ignore his "good friend." However, she said the lowest and the truest thing ever.

"You caught a big CEO. Now, have fun," she said smiling. "Just kidding."

I put my fork down, clearly unamused. Sam and Piya had been talking to each other but shut up upon seeing the tension. Rahul sat across from me and reached out his hand to calm me.

I shook my head at him and looked at Drishti. "You're unbearable."

I got up and rushed out of the restaurant. The streets in New York were always crowded. I lost myself in there, crying. Drishti's words held some truth whether she knew it or not. I was with Rahul for the deal--not necessarily the rich life.

So much for giving Rahul the gold digger advise.

I stopped in the back of a lonely building and sat on the vacant steps, under the pure white sky. Guilt washed over me. I put my forearms on my knees and rested on forehead against it, not caring how long I was there.

He's going to hate me forever.

I didn't want him to hate me. I wanted him to continue to giving me the soft look in his eyes that he saved for me.

_______________

It took time until I heard, "Preet!" Slowly, I lifted my head. A panting Rahul stood with a furious expression.

"Are you insane?!" he asked.

"Wh--?"

"We were all looking for you! For two hours!" he nearly screamed, walking to me. "What if something happened to you?! Do you have any idea how worried I was?"

Sniffling, I stood up and put my arms around him. I didn't know why I did that. Maybe for comfort. Or because I felt so horrible. Surprised, Rahul shut up and wrapped his arms around me.

I needed to tell him everything.

"I'm sorry," I said, my head resting on his chest.

"It's fine," he sighed. He didn't know my apology was for all my actions. "Drishti's an idiot. Why did you leave?"

Because what she said isn't exactly wrong.

"Rahul, do you believe what Drishti said?"

He pulled me back to look at him. "I trust you enough," he said. "And I know when someone is in for my money. You're far too independent and ambitious to want my money."

I was at the edge of completely falling apart.

"Rahul, you'll find many girls like me." You should start looking for them.

"Preet," he said turning serious, "If there is something wrong, talk to me. I don't want to hear all that nonsense. Get to the point."

I took a deep breath. "This Thursday, we have our final meeting for the deal. After that, I leave. I want you to--" know that I'm the villain.

"That's the problem?" he butted in. No. "It's alright," he said, now smiling. "Everything will work out. Don't fret about it."

What was he planning? "No, Rahul. Piya and I--"