Chapter 7 - Planning Love

"There's something, Preet."

"I think so, too."

"There is something going on with Rahul Khurana."

"Right you are, Piya."

"He has- "

"Our file and won't return it," I finished for Piyali.

My best friend narrowed her eyes at me as she propped herself up. We had sprawled over the couch watching Pyaar Kiya Toh Darna Kya. We needed our dose of Salman Khan at midnight.

"Preet, not that! I am talking about between you and him," she said. "There is something there. A spark."

"You really need to stop watching these hindi movies. You are losing your mind, Piya."

"No, I'm not. I spent the whole drive wondering. You probably won't like the sound of what I came up with." She seemed to be hiding her face from me.

"I don't doubt you, but what is it?" I asked.

"Maybe you could make Rahul like you."

"Excuse me?"

"Preet, just listen." She acted like it was that simple. "It will make our lives easier with the deal. Plus, there is already a spark between you two, so making him fall for you won't be that hard."

"Piya, you are asking a girl with no experience with boys to make a man fall for her," I said appalled by her proposal. What kind of a nonsense was this?

"I'll help you. Preet, please just go with it," Piya pleaded.

"No."

"Yes. It's a win-win situation!" she argued.

"Playing with someone's feelings is not a win-win."

"Hey, what's the problem in trying? We leave in a week anyway."

We spent another hour arguing over the whole scheme. I was fully against it because it would make me uncomfortable. I never had gotten in a relationship nor did I plan on getting in one anytime soon. Piya promised to teach me how to behave like a "more desirable girl" for Rahul. She wouldn't give up until I gave in.

"Fine, but it better not last too long. I'll punch you if he finds out anything."

"Violent much? Thanks though!" Piya engulfed me in a hug and let go with a bright smile. She had a mischievous smile. "Tomorrow is Sam's birthday party and we're invited. Rahul will be there."

"Oh boy. This is gonna be a disaster."

"Don't worry. Ek week aur ladka in (One week and the guy is in)."

"I thought it was six days?"

"I need to work all week because you are a hopeless cause."

Maybe we shouldn't have watched Kal Ho Na Ho the last two days. Piya got too many of her ideas from my favorite Bollywood actor.

______________________

Piya and I spent all day preparing for Sam's birthday party. We went shopping for acceptable party dresses since it was our first American party. The lady at one of the dress shops was extremely helpful in picking colors that went well with our skin tones.

Piya wore a navy blue sequin dress rhat reached mid-thigh. She wore silver lace up heels with it.

I chose an emerald green off shoulder lace dress. It fell down to my knees and I paired with black pumps I had brought from India.