Chapter 16 Fake Wala Proposal

Dedicated to the_desi_writer Her book "She fell from Above" is amazing. Thank you so much for supporting my story!

Chapter 16 - Fake wala Proposal

Rahul's P. O. V.

We were led us to an almost empty room. A twin sized bed laid in the dead center. There was even a fireplace in here. Thank god. I looked at Preet who was ice cold. I can't let her die. Not in my arms.

"What happened?" a middle-aged man asked behind us.

I explained as the woman gestured for me to put Preet on the bed. The change of attire for both Preet and I was done ASAP.

The woman's husband--Divyesh--lit the fireplace and her--Vaishnavi--brought us hot milk to drink. I helped get it down Preet's throat before drinking mine.

Hurrying, I put my hands over the fireplace flames, warming myself, and then moved to add warmth to Preet's freezing hands.

Divyesh ji said that he had to leave for work, so he bid goodbye. His wife was an interesting character. She claimed to have "important business" to work on for her own job. These people couldn't help us any further . . . or didn't care to.

The next few hours were the most critical for Preet and the toughest for me. Her body was still cold. Feeling drowsy, I kept working. Vaishnavi ji's teenage daughter, Daisy, dropped by to help me out but her mother told her to get sleep after helping me for an hour.

I worked for hours, whispering in Preet's ear to wake up.
__________________________

Preet's P. O. V.

"Preet, please . . . wake up . . . new," murmured a sleepy voice near me, "Shahrukh Khan movie coming out . . . Please, don't die."

Opening my eyes, I yawned and tried to sit up. A pile of blankets covered my body and something binded my hands. I looked to my side only to find a sleeping Rahul on the floor leaning against the bed.

I looked around the room in confusion.

Where were we?

Examining myself, I noticed that I was wearing sweatpants and a shirt under a fleece sweater. My feet had three pairs of mismatch socks running all the way to my knees. Faint memory of Rahul picking me up and walking in the rain came across my thoughts.

Slowly and carefully, I attempted to remove my hands out of Rahul's grip. Unfortunately, he woke up and when he saw me, his eyes widened. "You're awake!" He sighed in relief and crashed his head against the bed again, his body shivering.

"Rahul, are you okay?" I asked worried. Throwing all my blankets over him, I scooted down to the floor next to him. "Come on. Get on the bed," I said and helped him move onto the bed. "Where are we?" He looked so exhausted and tired as he watched me.

"In some stranger's house." I was wide awake now, observing my surroundings. "You were so blue last night," he stated. I had been awfully cold. "Oh by the way, you--you--" He looked away.

"What?"

"You and I are married," he replied still not meeting my gaze.

"What?!" I exclaimed in disbelief. I fall sleep for a few hours and this happens? "I wasn't even conscious! How can we even get married in such a short span of time?" He winced.

"That's the lie I gave the house owners."

I facepalmed myself. "Is that why they let us stay?" I inquired.