Chapter 15 Kayaking Gone Wrong

Chapter 15 - Kayaking Gone Wrong

"Here's the plan: we have to get you and Rahul on the same kayak."

"Piya, that's gonna be i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e." I was only being honest here. There was no way on earth that Rahul and I could possibly get on the same rented kayak when I was Abhik's "date." "No possible way."

It was a miracle Sam even convinced Rahul to come.

"Don't worry. Main hoon na (I'm here)," Piya said. What was she upto now?

I waited by the water or river, a thick canopy of trees bordering it. I was worried about the weather. It was burning hot today, but it had been freezing yesterday.

The boys were helping load the kayaks in the water.

We were all instructed to put on life vests. I knew I'd need it for sure. "Piya, this thing is choking my neck," I said and coughed from the pressure on my neck after I tied the vest.

"Why did you knot it when there are buckles?" she asked me as she tried to untie it.

"I'm not that stupid. One of the buckles is missing," I said pointing to the empty strap.

"You couldn't grab another vest?" asked Piya.

"I'm going to sit in the kayak. Come fast," Drishti told us and hurried away.

Piya and I rolled our eyes and laughed. "I'm about to leave too," Piya said.

"Hey, this thing is choking me!" I complained.

"Stay here and I'll tell Rahul to help you. I know the trick."

I stared at her. "You are the master mind in this plan, I swear."

"Thanks."

And she hurried away.

Rahul's P. O. V.

Piyali came to me with a worried look. Abhik, Sam, and Drishti were playing with the oars, splashing water at each other. Drishti had said there were "wardrobe issues" going on with Piyali and Preet.

Women.

"Do you have scissors?" asked Piyali.

"Yes, Piyali. I just happen to carry around a handy pair of scissors." I replied sarcastically. "Of course I don't. Why do you need one?"

She rolled her eyes. "Preet tied her life vest all wrong and it's choking her," she explained. Preet would be that kid on the field trip who always messes up.

"I have a pocket knife."

"You don't have scissors but a pocket knife?"

"Just in case Drishti tried to advance on me during the kayaking," I told her.

Piyali laughed, rolling her eyes, and gestured for me to follow her.

Preet's P. O. V.

I was going to die.

From a lack of oxygen.

Not really. I was just trying to be dramatic for when Rahul came. Piya had a sly grin as she brought the CEO. "We need scissors not him!" I said as they approached me.

"He said he has a handy pair of pocket knife," Piya said. Well, that was . . . weird. "Defense against Drishti if she bugs him." Wow.

True enough, he flipped out a knife from his pants pocket.

"I'll tell the rest of the group what happened! Ciao!" Piya was out of there as soon as possible.

Rahul sighed and said, "You're ridiculous" before he worked his way, carefully, and ripped the thing that was suffocating me--not really, but for the sake of drama.