Chapter 25 Punjabi Wedding

Chapter 25 - Punjabi Wedding

*Six months later*

[Delhi 8:30 am]

"Mumma! I'm leaving!" I yelled and headed out of the house. I had to be in office by nine.

Behind me, I heard "come home early today!" Mumma was at the drawing room window. She was cleaning the house inside out for some reason.

"Why?" I stopped. "If it's a guy coming to see me, I'm not--"

She had been threatening me ever since I came back from New York that she was going to get me married. It was meant as joke but I always took the matter seriously. I had done my best not to reveal everything that happened in America.

Mumma knew I had lost the deal and the friend that went with me. She was unaware of the details yet gave me space. I masked my emotions regarding the matter pretty well too, though I still couldn't forget everything. I had hurt the guy I loved more than he--and I--realized. I let my best friend and I separate even if we still worked in the same office.

"It's your cousin Lovely," she said smiling.

"Why is he coming?" I inquired. He was an older brother to me.

"Come home early and find out," she said and shut the window.

I sighed and went to my scooty. Finally, something interesting was happening in my life. Sixty days of routine life--get up, go to work, and come back home--brought me nothing but torture.

I reached my office two minutes before I was supposed to. After setting up everything, I began doing what I did everyday: Send him an email and check his news on the web. For the thousandth time, I sent Rahul Khurana an email apologizing and asking him to reply. I wasn't even sure if he ever saw the emails. If he did, he never replied.

Checking Google for Rahul Khurana, I found an interview. Digging out my headphones from my bag, I plugged them in the computer and listened. He was chatting with a lady known as Georgia Hardbrook. She kept asking him business-related questions and then personal life questions. One question struck me a lot.

"So, Rahul, rumor has it that you've got yourself a serious girlfriend. Is there any truth behind it?" Georgia inquired.

Rahul had a smile plastered on his face. "The relationship is very early. I wouldn't exactly label it 'serious' yet."

"Surprise for you: we brought your girlfriend here!"

The camera focused on a side door where Drishti entered. The audience clapped and Rahul genuinely seemed surprised. He's dating Drishti out of the seven billion people on earth? Drishti kissed his cheek and took a seat next to him. Why her?

"We've been good friends for a while and now, we're finally together," Drishti said happily.

I closed the tab with the interview. Taking my headphones off, I sighed. I had no right to be upset over this. It was his life and his decisions. Rahul moved on. But I didn't. I decided to send him one last email:

This is my last message to you. I'm happy to see you moved on with Drishti. Enjoy your life.

No need to ask for any requests to explain everything.

It's only two months. I can't move on.

I went home early. Rahul's stupid interview wouldn't leave my mind.

After cleaning up, I met my relatives.

Lovedeep Singh Saini aka Lovely was my Papa's older brother's son. He was the oldest child on my Papa's side. He finished his college studies in America on a scholarship. I knew he had a job in Florida and visited India about twice a year. Lovely came with his mother--Manju tai--to see us.