Chapter 1 - Business Trip

I sat in the coffee shop, listening to "Dilli Wali Girlfriend" that played on the T.V. screen.

The waiter dropped my coffee off and left me to wait. Sadly, my people were late.

"Ms. Saini," a voice called behind me. I stood up, quietly, and gave my bosses forced smiles. They were two middle aged men and an older woman.

"Mr. Mehra, Mr. Sharma, and Mrs. Khan, good to see you," I said as they joined me.

"Oh, we're so sorry, Preet!" Mrs. Khan said, taking the chair next to mine. "You know Delhi traffic."

"Ah, of course. I do happen to live an hour away from here," I replied.

"Same here," Mr. Mehra nodded.

"I'm sorry, but I have another meeting after this. Shall we begin, then?" Mr. Sharma said, in an apologetic tone.

"Absolutely," I said, in a more professional manner.

We started to discuss the deal as the song "Badtameez Dil (Insolent Heart)" came on.

____________________

"So, Ms. Preet Saini, you'd be the perfect person to represent us to the Khurana Company in America," Mr. Sharma concluded.

I looked at him and confidently said, "No, thank you. My parents hardly even let me work here, let alone go take care of business deals in America."

"Preet, I have full faith in you," Mrs. Khan said sweetly.

"But, it's only been a year since I became involved in business. Frankly, I'm still not fully aware of everything," I insisted.

"Ms. Saini, your confidence and diligence is great," Mr. Mehra praised. "Besides, you'll be going with a team of five including Piyali."

Piyali and my friendship was well known in our company.

"Let me guess, you don't have anyone else to go represent the company?" I said.

The three of them nodded with sheepish looks.

Sighing heavily, I sipped on my coffee. "What do I have to do?"

"Sell our company," Mr. Sharma said.

"What?!" I asked, shocked as I put the coffee cup down.

Mrs. Khan rolled her eyes and said, "By selling, he means trying to get the Khurana company to work with us. Make our company look good. If we become their fabric suppliers for even a few of their franchises, we'll make crores and crores of money!"

"What's in it for me?"

"A way better income and status," Mr. Mehra smiled.

Thoughtfully, I weighed my options. If someone else went, they would either fail and ruin everything, but if someone gets the deed done, we'll all get a better life. Personally, I wouldn't refuse a chance to leave India for America.

"I'll do it."

The song on the T. V. changed to some old song with lyrics like, "hum bhi hai josh mein, bate kar hosh mein . . . (we're prepared for everything, say something that sounds sane)."

"Great!" they said simultaneously.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

___________________

"Mumma, please hat jao (please stop)! You're irritating!" I cried as she droned about her latest dream.

My mother was a lonely housewife who loved to gossip, but unfortunately, had no one to gossip with. Her most favorite hobby was sharing her latest dreams. Right now, she was talking about seeing her dead grandfather. Did she really believe I cared?