Chapter 28 Amar Returns

Chapter 28 - Amar Returns

Fasting was a synonym of torture. None of us were allowed anywhere near food.

Sanam, Radhika di, and I sauntered around the neighborhood. When we came back, most of the house was empty. Wedding things were going on. Radhika di went to Sam and her brother's room.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Sanam asked. His family had been told about the fast. I nodded and both of us snuck into the kitchen. There was an open box of ladoos. Sanam shoved as many as he could in his pockets. I used my dupatta (long scarf) to hide the sweets.

We carefully escaped to where our fasting group was.

"Look what we brought?!" Sanam announced and we dumped sweets on the bed.

"I'll bring some more since no one is home," I said moving to go back.

"Preet, stop!" I froze and turned. Did Rahul seriously just talk to me? Even Radhika di looked surprised. "Don't be greedy," said Rahul. There he goes.

I huffed and went to the kitchen, got more ladoos, and came back.

"I got--" my sentence was disrupted by Bibi's (grandma's) presence, "--oh." Her eyes lingered on the ladoos in my hand. Sanam slowly moved to my side. He could usually save me.

Everyone feared Bibi's reaction. With a hard look, she said, "Everyone will fast again for the next twenty-four hours. If I see any of you even three inches near food, you'll regret it! Especially you, Preet."

Bibi took the uneaten ladoos with her.

__________

Mumma and my aunts laughed at the incident. Manju tai said, "If you guys make it through, I'll make aloo paranthas tomorrow."

Those magical words.

Radhika di and I watched soap operas during the extended fasting hours. The boys hung with us, bored.

"I love Amar so much," I said in awe. Amar--the main lead of my favorite drama--looked amazing while he cried. The love of his life had just entered coma.

"Same!" Radhika di said. "Do you remember his confession scene?!"

"I did my own confession scene to him." She told me to explain. I stood up to show. "Can I borrow someone's cell phone?" Sanam pulled out his and handed it to me. "Since Amar confessed on the phone, I need it."

Di shushed everyone.

I cleared my throat, put the phone next to my ear, and began, "Amar, I love you. I've loved you since we were little kids. After you left for London, I waited. I waited all these years to finally hear those words from you--by the way, I'm improvising, since I did this confession back in New York--"

"Amar?" Rahul interrupted confused.

"Amar," I repeated and pointed to the TV where the show was going on.

"She loves these drama guys," Lovely said laughing. "Amar being the popular one right now."

"Amar. TV," Rahul whispered and furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you serious?" he asked me. Uneasily, I bobbed my head up and down in reply.

What's his problem?

"Is there some issue, Rahul?" Radhika di scowled.

"Nothing. I--never mind." He got up and left. Radhika di gave a skeptical look and went after him.

None of us knew what happened.

[Rahul's P. O. V.]

It made so much sense, now. Amar and Preet. Not an amar (endless) tale.