Chapter 32 Dilli Wali Marriage

Dedicated to prachi-3 for the beautiful banner and her great support. Thank you! Do check out her amazing work!!

Chapter 32 - Dilli Wali Marriage

The weather outside was dark and gloomy. Rain clouds drifted over our village in the early morning.

Dressed in a black anarkali dress with a gold hem and small gold collars, I walked around the house. I had gotten ready early. Something about today didn't feel right. If Sehaj's parents didn't come, Shruti's family was going to create a scene.

We went to the Gurudwara. Many relatives, friends, and neighbors were invited. My cousins and I ended up tending to any requests anyone had. Rahul and I didn't get any opportunity to be alone. Our eyes met a few times and I knew he was aware of my rotten mood.

The prayers and religious hymns were soothing. The priests gave their blessings to Lovely and wished him a happy future. I moved myself closer to them, wanting some blessings.

For myself and Rahul.

Mumma and Bebe had given their consent, but the rest of the family didn't. I knew all my aunts would make a lot of comments regarding me being spoiled and out-of-hand for falling in love and wanting a love marriage. I didn't care about them. But all the men would beat the life out of Rahul.

"Babaji (God), please make everything go fine," I muttered, my eyes closed and hands clasped in front of me. "For the first time in my life, I don't want drama."

"Gasp." I didn't realize Radhika di (sis) had sat down next to me. She smiled. "You don't want drama? Rahul will be shocked to hear that."

"So funny," I said dryly.

"What's wrong with you, today?" she asked. "No drama, complaining, or joking. Everyone--I mean Rahul and I were worried."

"Is that all I'm associated with?" I asked. "Drama, complaining, or joking?" She shrugged. I didn't know whether to be offended or not, but no one had time for that. "Di (sis), Shruti is going to talk to the whole family today whether Sehaj's parents come or not."

"Might as well get it over with."

"Di (sis), what if they bring up the kayaking thing?"

"Lage haath tumhari aur Rahul ki settlement bhi ho jayegi (Your and Rahul's situation will be handled as well then)."

I didn't respond. The prayers and everything finished up. Everyone went and ate food. We finished at about five in the evening and then headed home. Outside the gurudwara, the cars were parked. Bebe sat down down inside the car before anyone else. She said it was too hot. She needed air conditioning. As the rest of us prepared to get inside and go home, two cars pulled in.

All the guests had left by now.

Who came back?

I saw Sehaj and her parents come out of one car. Shruti and her family from the other.

"Oh no," I whispered. Rahul stood next to me.

"It's not the ideal time or weather for this," he said and sighed.

"I second that," Sanam said, from my other side. The sky was roaring and lightening flashed every ten or so seconds.

My family approached Sehaj's and greeted them. Lovely was hiding behind Samrat and Radhika di who were a couple of feet in front of us.

The two eldest children in my family are going to set an example.

"LOVELY!"

I flinched at my grandmother's yell. Her eyes were fixed on Lovely, glaring. With his head down, Lovely strolled over. I clutched Rahul's hand, fearing for the upcoming wrath. He pressed my hand, reassuringly.