Epilogue

Years had past since the incident and it had been quite a wild ride.

America had collapsed many times while trying to recover old memories. There was a time she was put into the ER because she had uncovered the dark memories she wished to keep hidden in the deepest parts of her brain.

During the time the pair were together, they laughed, cried, fought and cried some more. But it all came to an end one day.

Maxon walked through the castle garden slowly, reminiscent of the past events that had happened in this area. He wished that America would've remembered it, but he soon accepted that sometimes, things don't always work out the way you want them to.

There had been countless times Maxon asked America to stay in the princesses chambers because he didn't want her to see him cry, to pray and beg that she remembers everything and gets well soon. And he especially didn't want her to see him during that horrible day that took his parents lives.

Clarkson had made a deal with the southern rebels when he was plotting Americas fake death. But he wasn't able to compensate them the money he promised to pay, leading the rebels to become infuriated and attack the castle, not only taking Clarkson, but also killing Amberly along the way.

Maxon wanted all the pain to stop. He just wanted it all to end. But it wouldn't stop. His father had guided him as he played his role as king of Ilea. But now that he's gone, who would Maxon rely on? He couldn't rely on America, she was still recovering. He didn't have anyone.

Countless nights were spent by himself. Maxon had distanced himself from everyone, including America which had worried her too much.

But thankfully she had eventually gotten through to him. She promised to be his rock. To help him as best as she could and to do everything in her power to keep Maxon smiling.

From then on days were looking brighter. Maxon was working harder than ever and with the help of America everything was looking great.

Maxon walked to their special place, the bench where everything had started -twice- and sat down.

He closed his eyes and leaned back against the bench, enjoying the breeze. He suddenly missed her. He wanted America to be here but she wasn't. He sighed and crossed his arms in front of his chest, reminding himself to go visit her later.

He didn't open his eyes or flinch when he heard a noise from the bushes or crunching from the gravelly pathways, assuming that it was a maid or guard.

What did make him open his eyes though, was the feeling of two arms delicately wrapping themselves around his arm and a head on his shoulder.

He looked at the person and smiled. "Hey dear, I was just thinking about looking for you." He said.

"I'm not your dear." She huffed and rolled her eyes playfully. Maxon simply smiled and placed a kiss against the side of her head, making her smile too.

"You're my dear whether you like it or not," he said, sticking his tongue out playfully.

"What're you thinking about?" She asked after a minute, changing the subject.

"I'm thinking about everything that's happened these past few years. It was quite something when you put everything that happened together." Maxon answered.

She hummed and agreed with Maxon, talking about all the past events that brought them to where they were now.

"Come on, let's go back inside and eat dinner. We can come back for a walk later" she said softly.

In the end, the couple had decided that the old memories weren't going to come back and began making new memories together.

Maxon cherished the old memories with all his heart, but he knew that the new memories would be much better, because his one and only love is back. Perhaps not exactly the same as before, but rather a stronger version of herself.

"Lead the away, my darling America." Maxon said.

America pulled Maxon up to his feet and held his hand, leading him back inside to the palace.

"Hey Maxon?" America breaks the silence after a moment.

"Yes?" He asks, looking down at her.

"I know I don't say this a lot but, I love you." She says sweetly, pressing a kiss on his lips before running off out of embarrassment. Maxon chuckled and chased after her.

America had been covering her true self with a mask for so long. And truth be told, Maxon had fallen for that disguised version of herself.

After figuring out that it was her under the mask all along, Maxon had realized he fell for her twice. Not that he was complaining though.

And frankly, he wouldn't want it any other way.

End.