Chapter Twenty Three

One week later

America pov

The report was about to begin in 15 minutes. Maxon was sitting on his throne talking to Gavril Fadaye, and I was making sure everything else was ready.

I saw Evelyn sitting down looking over her script and walked over to her. Evelyn was Gavril's daughter, she had hosted some of our reports since she wanted to follow in her father's footsteps. She was actually only one year younger than me which was kind of surprising cause I never knew Gavril even had a child, more or less someone who was my age.

Evelyn was a gorgeous girl. she had long brown hair that went up to her lower back. Her large emerald green eyes reminded me of Aspen's. Her radiant smile and bubbly personality could make anyone feel better. She was about my height and right now she was about a centimetre taller since she was wearing heels.

"Hey Eve," I said once I was in front of her. she looked up and smiled. "Hey,"

"You ready? We're about to start soon," I said looking at the time, there were currently 15 more minutes until we started. 

"Yep, just a little nervous though, I'll never get over the fact the thousands of people are me through that camera," she said shivering a little.

"You're a Fadaye, you were made for the cameras! You'll get over it eventually, just like your dad," I reassured her and patted her back.

"Thanks Mel, I'm still surprised that you were chosen to participate in this selection. But that's ok because I always knew you had something for the king," Eve teased. I huffed and slapped her arm.

"I already told you, I was forced into this," I pouted. She glared at me as she rubbed the now sore spot on her arm.

"You're so aggressive, sheesh," she grumbled as she walked away towards the set. I sighed and walked over to a table near the camera.

I looked all over to make sure nothing was out of place and was glad when I saw just that. I was finally able to relax for a good hour since I wasn't actually in the report. Soon enough there were 2 minutes left and everyone was in place. The director raised his hand and started counting down with his fingers. The camera started rolling and Evelyn walked up to the center of the set.

Third POV

"Hello everyone! It is your one and only favourite host, Evelyn Fadaye! It's been a while since I last was here, wasn't it? It's great to be back everyone! Anyways, enough about me, in this report we will be sharing some exciting news. 

As you all know the late queen Kriss Ambers was sentenced to death because she was the leader of the southern rebels. It was quite the shocking revelation I must say, and it has left our beloved king Maxon with no queen to rule by his side. You must be thinking about what we are going to do about it hmm? Well, why don't we just ask him ourselves? Everyone, please welcome king Maxon!" Evelyn announced smoothly.

Maxon had walked up to the stage where his mini thone was sitting and sat down.

"Thank you Evelyn," Maxon said to Evelyn then faced the camera with a calm expression that was still full of authority.

"As Evelyn just mentioned, my wife was executed. Trying to run a country is difficult when there is only one person doing everything. Even with the help of my advisors and my amazing assistant, it's quite difficult." Maxon said.

America smiled a little and felt the slight heat rise to her cheeks. She was thankful no one could see since all the lights apart from the ones lighting up the set were off, making it too dark to see anything offset.