Chapter Twelve

America pov

All I could see was darkness. An eternal abyss. I tried to move but it was as if my body was a statue. A few moments later I see this light and I'm able to move again. There are voices, a male and a female. I can't make out what they are saying though. I walk towards the light, but it seems to go farther the closer I get to it.

At this point, I break into a run. Sprinting towards the light. The light got closer and closer as I ran. And the words I hear were becoming clearer. I finally caught up and I walked into the light.

***

I was about to open my eyes but the light was so blinding that I just kept them closed. I could feel the presence of two others in the room. They were both talking about something, so I pretended to still be asleep and listened.

"How much longer is she going to be asleep?" A male voice asked.

"She will be waking up at any time. Most likely with the next hour or so. But when she does wake up, she'll still need her rest. She's been sleep deprived and under a lot of stress the past few weeks, so don't overwhelm her when she wakes up ok?" The female said. Most likely a nurse.

"Ok thank you Nurse Michelle," the male said. called it.

"No problem your highness," she said and then the door made a clicking sound, so I assume she left. I still kept my eyes closed. Just to see what happens.

"I don't get why you would be sleep deprived. Why didn't you say anything? I could've helped you you know? You don't need to deal with it yourself. You helped me with my problem so I should be able to do the same for you." He said grabbing my hand. His warm ones holding my cold one. Right then and there I knew I had to open my eyes.

"What...? What happened?" I acted, looking at my surroundings. I slowly sat up, removing my hand from Maxon's grasp.

"You passed out because you were sleep deprived and under a lot of stress in the past few weeks." He said staring at the hand he was holding.

"Oh," was all I said, not sure what else to say.

"Why didn't you tell me? He asked. "I guess since you had so much to do with your "becoming a king" training, I didn't want to add more stress on you," I said, there was that but there was also the fact that if I told him, it would reveal my identity. So, I'm only half lying.

"Sorry" I mumbled.

"It's ok, I appreciate the fact that you care about me but it's my turn now. If anything, and I mean ANYTHING is bothering you or you need someone to vent to, you can always come to me. Ok? After all, you're going to be my assistant soon. I need to help my assistant as much as she helps me you know. Can't have you doing all of the work" he cracked a smile and so did I.

"Thanks Maxon, I really appreciate it," I replied to his little speech. It really warmed my heart to think he cares a lot about his peers. But this just makes it even harder to not love him. God, why do you do this to me?

"Anyways... I'll take you to your room so you can rest up. I finished writing down my theme and chose the invites and decorations, so you don't need to worry about that." He said smiling.

"Oh my god thank you! I love you- wait... that's not what I meant omg I'm so sorry ugh I'm such an idiot why did I say that?! Your already married and and and omg this is so embarrassing I-"

"Amelia! Calm down its ok! I know what you mean" Maxon cut me off.

"Oh, ok phew" I laughed lightly. "Anyways... let's go, I need to drop you to your room," he said helping me stand up. We walked to my room in a matter of minutes.