Chapter 2- Why

They left him alone after that. Leaving the cell shortly after Roman's demand. Virgil sat alone, his eyes closed as he leaned back and tried to figure out what he was going on and what to do.

They didn't know who he was. So for now that was good.

Logan was smarter than the other two and Patton was kinder. Virgil didn't like Roman. Then again he wasn't supposed to. Virgil and Roman were enemies. Virgil knew that, so far Roman didn't.

It worked in his favor, them not knowing who he was. Names were powerful things, a name could do a lot. Especially if someone had magic, Virgil didn't have enough to do anything harmful with their names. And even if he did he'd have to talk to do the spell which was a strict no. But Logan had magic, and Virgil had no idea how strong he was. So not giving them his name was smart. Not to mention that if they knew his name they would know he was a prince. Or more accurately The Prince. The prince of the DarkRealm. And if they did the attack than... Virgil didn't know what would happen. He didn't want to think about it either.

Hours passed. Virgil was left alone with only his thoughts to accompany him, and they were terrible thoughts. What if Dee was dead? What if they had caught his father as well? What if they were hurting Remus, he'd be considered a traitor to the Light Realm. What if the Light Realm didn't do it? What if Virgil failed?

He tried to muffle his thoughts by doing other things. He tapped his feet and drummed his fingers to a song in his head. He counted the number of cement tiles on the ground. He took the rope that had been tied to his hands and made string figures like Cats Cradle. He even practiced a little magic and singed his cloak, but he didn't do that for long. He didn't want to get caught.

After the fifth or sixth hour, the sound of the door opening caught his attention. Virgil turned to it, his fingers still entangled in the rope as Logan walked in with a bowl and Virgil's bag in hand. "Good evening Ann. The King and Prince Roman wanted me to ask you a few more questions. I have also brought you food as we weren't aware of when you last ate"

Yesterday at lunch, Virgil hadn't eaten dinner because of an anxiety attack and there hadn't been an opportunity to eat before this. Virgil looked back at his hands and dropped two of his fingers, the rope fell and Virgil turned back to Logan, who watched him curiously.

"I will let you eat, and maybe you might be able to answer my questions" Logan pushed the bowl through a small opening in the bars. Virgil looked at the food warily, still sitting in his corner. "There is nothing in the food, it is perfectly safe"

Virgil pointed at Logan and then the food, there was no point in using real sign language if they didn't understand it. "You would like me to try?" Logan asked Virgil nodded. "Very well then, if it'll make you feel more comfortable" Logan took the food back and took a bite, Virgil watched him chew and swallow before Logan slid the food back one more time. Virgil waited for two minutes, watching for any sign that the food had been tampered with before he finally moved towards it.

Logan took a seat in front of Virgil, the bars separating them. Virgil looked at the food, examining it one more time before taking a careful bite. "As you can see there is no reason to fear the meal," Logan said, Virgil hesitated on his second bite, "Roman said you were carrying this bag with you this morning" Logan held up Virgil's satchel and watched him nod slowly. "I have gone through your things, you had hastily packed items for a trip, correct?" Virgil nodded again. Logan pulled two books out of the bag, "you practice magic?"

Virgil froze than nodded slowly. "You are a novice though, here in the Light Realm someone your age would be far past these spells. Is that true in the Dark Realm as well?" Virgil only looked at his food, it gave Logan the answer he needed. "Do you struggle with magic Ann?" He nodded again, it was better, to tell the truth, and have them know he was weak than for him to lie and have them think he's a bigger threat than he is. If they think he's weak it'll be easier to get out.