Chapter 43: Goodnight Mommy

Nova

Gryffin was so excited to see me when I got home. I made him and Shasta lunch and showered and changed, flopping face first into my bed. I needed a nap.

"Hey Killer. How'd it go? I felt excitement and then anger and then happiness. Everything go okay?" Finn asked as he lied down beside me.

"Chaska kicked ass Finn! We won. I knew we would."

I told Finn everything that happened and while he was mad at Jamie and Justin he was also happy and proud of me. Chaska too.

"So what's for dinner? I'm starving."

He had to have eaten lunch by now. This man is a bottomless pit I swear.

"I promised Gryffin I'd make mac n cheese. Already picked up everything I need for it. Sound good?"

Finn nodded excitedly and then pulled me into his chest and hugged me tight.

"I'm taking a nap and you're taking one with me."

I chuckled and cuddled into him more, definitely ready for a nap too.

**********

Dinners at the island with my little family had become my favorite part of the day. Finn and Shasta both were picking up on sign pretty quick and it made me happy seeing them try so hard. Gryffin liked it too. We watched Tangled for the thousandth time before bringing the kids to bed and going to be ourselves.

Finn and I drank some wine and talked about everything, and about how he started writing again. And how much he missed it. How happy it made him doing something he loved. And he was excited for me to see what he saw from the beginning. I was excited to see it too. Finn and I killed a bottle and a joint before cuddling up to sleep. I really do love this man.

**********

I woke up to a gentle poke to my shoulder. I opened my eyes and Shasta was standing there staring at me.

"What's wrong Little One?" I asked, leaning up on an elbow to look at her.

"Gryffin had an accident but he's too scared to tell you."

I yawned as I got up and scooped up Shasta into my arms.

"What's going on?" Finn asked through a yawn too.

"I can handle it. Go back to bed." I told him as I headed for the door.

"Yes mam." He said before falling asleep again.

I quietly shut the door behind me and made my way downstairs to the den we were slowly turning into the kids room. When I opened the door I didn't see Gryffin anywhere.

"He's hiding under the bed." Shasta whispered as I looked around for him.

I set Shasta down and walked over to Gryffin's bed, getting down on my hands and knees and peeking under the bed. He was quietly crying and hid his face when he saw me. I tapped on his shoulder and he shook his head, crying into his arms. I tapped on his shoulder again and he slowly looked up at me. It broke my heart seeing him so upset.

It's okay. Things like this happen. Come here. I signed to him.

Gryffin shook his head and curled into a ball, continuing to cry. I got up and pulled away his wet blanket and sheets, tossing them by the door to throw into the washer. I grabbed the spares I kept in the closet for this exact reason and made his bed. I put a pair of pajamas on the bed, got back down to the ground and tapped on his shoulder until he looked at me again.

Come here. It's okay. I'm not mad. I promise. I signed, giving him a reassuring smile.

He sniffled and slowly crawled out until I could grab him and pull him from underneath the bed.

Please don't make me go. I'm sorry. Don't make me go. He signed in a rush, crying into my shoulder.

I held him and rubbed his back, trying to soothe him. And it hurt my heart even more. He thought a little accident would make me give him up. And this is why I hate people. Humanity still hasn't changed a bit. This poor little boy is terrified of being abandoned again. But I'm different. I don't give up when things get hard. I try even more. And the last thing I would do is give up on one of my kids just because he wet the bed.

I won't. I promise. Don't cry my sweet boy it's okay. I signed as I pulled away.

I'm sorry. He signed back.

This is your home forever. I promise. I signed, wiping away his tears.

I helped him change into clean pajamas and went to put him in bed when he signed stop.

Can I sleep with you?

I chuckled and nodded, scooping him up into my arms.

"Wait I saw he said sleep I wanna sleep with you too!" Shasta whined, hugging my leg.

"Okay. Go ahead and lead the way. But be quiet and don't wake up Daddy." I told her, chuckling when she rushed up the stairs towards my room.

I tossed his spoiled clothes and bedding into the washer and started it before going back up to my room. Gryffin played with the ends of my hair as I walked up the steps, still sniffling and crying a bit but he did calm down more. Shasta was already laying down and pat the spot next to her.

I put Gryffin down and changed myself before crawling into bed. I had to be up early and I was exhausted. I could definitely sleep. Shasta cuddled into one side as Gryffin climbed onto the bed and snuggled up to my other side. I don't like sleeping on my back but it looks like I don't have a choice. If I'm being honest here I don't really mind anyways. I put my arms around them and hugged them close, yawning big and closing my eyes.

"Goodnight Mommy." Shasta said as she yawned too. I felt a tap on my shoulder and opened an eye to look at Gryffin.

Goodnight Mommy. Gryffin signed, making me smile so big my face hurt.

He finally called me mom.

Goodnight my sweet boy. I signed back, hugging them both even closer and fell asleep with a smile on my face.