Chapter 31: Terrible, Yet Hilarious.

Nova

I had a hard time sleeping last night. Not only because today was my last day of convincing Finn to adopt my boy but because I also stepped out of my comfort zone and learned something new-and possibly beneficial-with Finch last night. I still feel awkward but I'm using it as my last resort. That last little push to send Finn over the edge if our day of activities doesn't do it for him.

I woke up facing Finn today. His hand was on my waist as he faced me too and snored away. I put a pillow in his arms and got up, careful not to disturb him so I could get the first few activities ready for us today. I changed into my shorts and a v-neck, sliding on my boots and putting my holsters on. I checked my clips and slipped my guns in, ready for today.

I quietly made my way downstairs to check on the kids and snuck into Shasta's room just in case they were sleeping. Shasta was passed out and snoring too but my boy was wide awake, reading a book on the floor. I waved my hands until he noticed me and he smiled big, tossing the book aside and tackled my legs in a hug. I smiled and leaned down to hug him back. He must be an early riser too.

You could've woken me up. I signed to him once we pulled away.

I know you were tired it's okay. I like the book you gave me anyways. He signed back.

Want to help me get everything ready for today? I have a bunch of fun stuff planned for us!

He smiled and nodded, following me out to my jeep. I opened the back door and handed him the light things to carry as I grabbed the heavy things.

What is all this stuff? He asked as he looked into the bag with the tye-dye stuff and shirts.

We're going to make some cool shirts with different colors. Go ahead and put those outside by the door. They have to be done outside.

He nodded and headed for the back door as I grabbed the finger painting stuff and met him outside to get that set up too. I set the easels up in the grass and pulled the small porch table over to put the paint on. I set out some paper plates as makeshift pallets as he asked me what we were doing.

We're finger painting. I thought you and Shasta would like that.

He nodded excitedly and looked at all of the colors as I put them on the table.

You got red! Different reds! He signed excitedly as he picked up two of them.

I know it's your favorite color. I signed back as I put the rest of them out.

Once I was done I signed for him to follow me back inside. I had him carry the shirts as I carried the colors back outside as well. I lied out the tarp on the grass and set up everything for that too with his help. I dropped the bag of rubber bands and signed for him to follow me again. Next was what we needed to get together for shell hunting and hanging out on the beach.

I packed some ziplock bags into my backpack along with everyone's favorite snacks-peaches for Finn and Shasta, because Finn had created a monster who has to have some sort of peach every day now. I packed carrots for myself and my boy because he said carrots were his favorite too. I filled our reusable water bottles and put mine and my boys in the fridge to chill so they'd be nice and cold for the beach.