Chapter 1: Resistants

Nova

"Welcome to Australia." He said to us, coming closer.

Height doesn't intimidate me. I know I can take him down if I had to. But he was a mountain of a man. Tall, muscular. Dark brown hair and matching eyes. To anyone else he'd be intimidating but I wasn't afraid. I never am. 

"Finn, Finch, keep your heads down. I don't want him to see your eyes." I ordered quietly as he approached us.

"I'm Colonel Nixon. You can relax now, you're safe here." He reached his hand out to shake mine.

I looked down at his hand before taking a step back.

Another army man.

If he tries to hurt me or my people I'll kill him too.

He gasped as he looked into my eyes, a surprised look taking over his face.

"She has golden eyes! She's one of them!" Colonel Nixon shouted, all of his men rushing over to look at me.

I got in a protective stance in front of my people, holding up the beretta. My people held up their weapons too, waiting for my signal.

"Back the fuck up!" I snapped, wary of them.

How do I know they're not like James and his soldiers?

And what did they mean I'm "one of them"?

Are there more like me?

"We're not going to hurt you or your people. If anything we need you even more now. You have golden eyes. You're immune. How long ago were you bitten?"

I narrowed my eyes at the urgency in his voice, still not trusting him.

But hey, he's nothing special.

I don't trust anyone.

"If we step back will you answer my questions?"

I watched him carefully before nodding once.

They stepped back but I kept my weapons on them-all of my people did.

"I was bit the first night of the outbreak." I told him.

"Do you have enhanced senses? Enhanced speed? Strength?" He asked even more urgently, trying to step closer.

I aimed my gun at him and gave him a look to stay back.

He listened.

"How do you know that?"

He was really starting to freak me out. How does he know about me?

"My god. We have another one men! Everyone clear a path. I'm taking her to The Center."

The what? I'm not going anywhere with this dude. I don't even know him.

"Your people can come too. I just want to introduce you to the others."

"What about our stuff?" I asked, not wanting to leave anything behind. It was all we had.

"I'll have a man guard it until you can come back and collect your things. We shouldn't be long. Follow me." He started walking so I sighed, turning around to face my people.

"I want most of you to stay here with our belongings. I don't trust them." I grumbled, glaring at the man when he called me over again.

"I'll stay. The kids and dogs need to be watched anyways." Amy said, nodding at me.

"Everyone but Tommy, Finch, and Finn stay. And keep your weapons ready."

My group nodded and then we started following him. I kept Finch behind me, watching our surroundings with careful eyes. We left the boating dock area and headed into a small town.