Chapter 2 Crash

Beep, beep, beep. Seto slapped the alarm on his phone and glared at the device. Great, another sleepless night. He saved the report he'd been working on and groggily made his way to the shower. The warm water lulled his exhausted mind into oblivion. He jerked awake as his forehead slammed into the wall. Rubbing his head, he growled at himself. If I died from falling asleep in the shower Wheeler would laugh himself to death.

Seto finished getting ready and left the small but clean apartment. The doorman bowed to him as he left the building. Mokuba had insisted he buy a house, but Seto thought it was a waste of money since he would only be here until this deal was done. Recently some higher-ups were looking for any excuses to dethrone him and being a spendthrift with company money would look bad.

Seto walked to the local high school and strolled into his classroom. The students noticed, and their conversations turned to whispers. He was used to this attention. Greeting no one, he walked back to his desk. The blunt girl, with long light brown hair that came down to the middle of her back even with it up in a ponytail who'd showed him around yesterday, stopped looking out the window, and up at him when the talking ceased.

"Good morning, Amin-chan." Her creamy sharp brown eyes, framed by her bangs, sparkled with amusement as she smiled at him pleasantly.

This girl... I don't have time for this. Kaiba ignored her and sat down. Pulling out his tablet, he continued to work on his report. Lately, something had been bugging him about this deal. Kaiba Corp. would pair with an electronics company to assist in creating their new device. Seto was supposed to help the engineer's design the basic structure of the device, but everything they sent him seemed to be less concrete plans and more theory. We need to get this device into beta soon or it won't be ready for release. Who's in charge of their scheduling? Better yet, who approved this deal? I'm going to need to visit the company tomorrow and get the details.

"Kaiba-san, can you read the next line?"

Seto stood up and without opening a book he stated the line, "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Seto sat back down; the teacher clenched his teeth and moved onto the next student. He hadn't brought the book to class, but he'd already memorized the material. All he had to do was remember the last line stated, then blurt out the next one when called on. School is too easy.

Seto continued on with his report until he heard the bell ring for lunch. Saving his project, he tucked his laptop back into his bag and plopped his head down onto his desk. He jerked awake as the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. Huh? Sitting up, everything in the room looked blurry. Pulling his tablet back out, he continued working. Once the bell rang for the next break, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out, and without checking the number answered.

"Hello?" Seto continued working one-handed.

"Hey, Seto-kun! How's the new school? Make any friends yet?" Yugi's squeaky voice came from the phone.

"How do you keep getting my number!" Seto shouted and slammed his free fist on the table.

He could hear Yugi chuckling on the other end of the phone. Ever since "The Pharoah" left, and Seto had shown up to help him, Yugi had stopped fearing Seto. In fact, he constantly tried to talk to him and butt into his life.

"Your brother gives it to me—" Seto cut Yugi off and speed dialed Mokuba.

"Hey Nii-san, what's up. Make any new friends? Are you eating properly? Did you sleep last night?" Mokuba went into mother mode.

"Why do you keep giving him my number!"

He could hear his little brother sigh on the other end. "If you'd stopped changing it every time he called, I wouldn't have to keep giving out the new one."