Chapter 77: Love

Author Note: Hi all! I just finished publishing Vol. 2 in my original series this Friday. I finally had the time and mental energy to write the next installment. Enjoy!

Chapter 78:

Love

"You're adorable. I love you."

Seto's fingers froze in mid-air above his phone screen. Eh? He quickly turned to look at Ana, but she had turned her back to him and had her head down. What? Wait, what? His chest felt as if it was tightening while his heartbeat wildly. What? It was his phone buzzing in his hands that brought his attention back to the hacking. He stared at the screen blankly while his hands grew cold from nervousness. He couldn't focus. Quickly, he shot Mokuba a text.

Seto: Take over for twenty minutes.

Mokuba: Roger.

Seto set his phone down on the metal table and straightened up staring outside. Reflected in the glass he could see Ana's head still down, but her face was bright red. She looked terrified. Ah. He finally understood that he was probably feeling something similar. He could just ignore what she'd said and change the subject, but who was he kidding? There was no way in this world or the shadow world that he was going to let her say that and not acknowledge it.

He took a deep breath, keeping it as quiet as he could, before turning to Ana who still had her back turned to him.

Afraid his voice would break on him, he decided to lean down and whisper in her ear, "Say that again."

"Um..." Ana didn't look up at him for a moment, then turned to him with a strained grin on her face. "You're adorable."

He openly scowled at her, and she flinched. "We'll address that statement later. I meant the second part."

Ana frowned and turned away from him while sipping on her hot chocolate. She let the silence linger long enough that he could feel his nerves stretching thin. She finally mumbled, "I don't want to."

His mouth pulled tight at her refusal. Is she mad? He had wanted her to say it again because for the first time in his life he wasn't sure he trusted his own ears. Did she actually say that she...loves me?

Seto backed up giving her space and closed his eyes. His heart was still beating wildly, and his brain felt fuzzy. In no way shape of form could he have guessed she would just suddenly without warning declare that she loved him. He was kind of irritated that it had taken him months to even realize that's how he felt, and she'd just said it so casually.

The silence carried on until Ana spoke, "I'm sorry."

Seto's eyes flew open, and he looked at her surprised. "What?"

"I didn't mean to make things awkward just forget I said anything..." Ana stared down into her cup a deep-set frown on her face.

He paused, his mouth opened a moment, but then he snapped, "No! I don't want to."

Ana turned to him and glared. "What does that mean?"

"What in the world do you mean what does that mean? Why would I forget the first time my girlfriend tells me that she loves me?"

Ana's eyes narrowed. "Because you were acting like you wish I hadn't said it."

"Huh?" Seto felt the irritation bubble to the surface, and he almost said something that would have ended their date right then and there. Instead, he physically bit his tongue to stop himself and took a deep breath. When he felt like he wouldn't say something royal Amin-chan-ish, he spoke, "Your declaration was so sudden I wasn't quite sure I had heard you right and I'm confused why you suddenly feel that way. I was just surprised."