Bonus Chapter 10 • Enjoy This Moment

"Are you nervous?" Michal asks as he guides me down the hall.

"Not any more."

"No bloody way! Ah mate, did she give you a BJ in there? That's why she wanted to meet with you before?"

"Would you lower your voice? We're in a church, for God's sake."

"It's just a building," he muses and I shake my head with a smile.

"Remind me again why you're my Best Man."

"Because you picked me."

"Oh that's right," I joke and the music coming from the sanctuary becomes clearer.

"It's almost time, so I'll leave you here with your mum. I'll wait up at the front for you, just like in rehearsal."

"Thanks, mate."

He pats my back and my attention is brought to my mum's cooing.

"And here's the groom," she says and I feel her hand on my arm.

"That's me; the groom," I smile nervously, readjusting my grip on Maggie's harness.

"You are so handsome in your suit. My little boy is all grown up and you're going to start a new life with JJ. I couldn't be happier for you, love, or more proud."

"Thanks, Mum," I hold out my arms to invite her for a hug, which she accepts. The familiar perfume that I've known her to wear all my life comforts me and somehow lets me know everything is going to be fine. Our hug ends and I reach down for the harness. "May I walk you to your seat?"

"Yes, I'd love that," she says, linking her arm through mine and we start walking.

The slow interlude music of the string quartet JJ and I agreed on plays as Mum guides me down the aisle and I can't help but smile. She pats my hand, bringing us to a slow stop and I lean down to kiss her cheek so she can sit down.

I reach for the harness and just as we practiced at the rehearsal, Michal is there to guide my free hand to his elbow. He guides me the six steps to where I'm to stand to wait for my bride.

Out of habit, I go to push my sunnies further up my nose and I realize I'm not wearing them. Even though JJ told me that she wouldn't mind if I wore them during the ceremony, I chose not to wear them so our wedding pictures could be picturesque.

Michal guides me until I feel the step on the backs of my shoes and he pats my shoulder. I thank him, exhaling a quick breath and as the organist begins to play The Wedding March, I hear the creaking of what I assume are from the wooden pews and I realize everyone is standing for the the bride's grand entrance.

"The doors are opened now," Michal quietly says and I nod in acknowledgement. "Leo and JJ are walking down the aisle."

I swallow harshly, fiddling with the cuffs of my suit's sleeves and I remind myself to smile for not only the photographer, but for JJ. Even though I can't see her, she can see me and I can only hope this moment is special for her.

The organist lets the last chord resound and as the echoes fade, I tug on the harness to signal Maggie to start walking. After taking four steps, she stops me and I hear JJ coo at her. Suddenly, my nerves disappear and I realize I'm marrying the perfect woman for me.