Chapter 59 • Ultimatum

A/N: 🚨Warning🚨
Insensitive dialogue about visual impairment is mentioned in this chapter. Please know this is fictional and doesn't reflect my personal feelings.
TPWK

"I'd say that was quite a successful Christmas," Dad says. "Did everyone get what was on their wish list?"

"Yeah, and a bit more," Parker fondly says and gives his husband a sweet kiss. "Thank you, darling."

"It was from Santa, but I'll take the thank you kiss," he jokes, making everyone except Mum laugh.

Since everyone is finished opening their presents, I reach over across the floor and grab the designated rubbish bag to start cleaning up. For a group of adults with no children, we have made quite a mess, but we had fun.

"I'll take the bag out to the bin outside," Dad offers, walking around the living room. "Last call for any garbage."

"Hey, Uncle Leo, hold it up!" Will aims a big wadded ball of wrapping paper and shoots it across the room. With the help of Dad moving the bag over a couple inches, it lands in the bag and everyone cheers. "Nothing but net."

"Excellent job, mate," Harry joins in the cheering, which warms my heart and I reach over to pat his knee.

He smiles, covering my hand with his, "What was your favourite present?"

"You."

His cheeks immediately turn a bright red color with his grin and I bite my bottom lip to stop myself from smiling too much. I place my hand on his shoulder before cupping his cheeks and I close my eyes, leaning in for a kiss.

"Joy!" A sudden loud clap startles me, ultimately ending our kiss and I look over to see Mum staring at me with daggers.

"What is it, Mum?"

"I would like to have a word with you in the study," she fits her eyes to Harry next to me, "privately."

I swallow harshly at Mum's words and I turn to look at Harry, "I'll be just a minute."

"Is everything okay?" he whispers with a worried expression.

I reassure him with a kiss before getting up off the floor, leaving him with Will and Parker who are engrossed in checking out their new electronics. As I follow Mum across the room to the corner study, my stomach begins to churn and I know it has nothing to do with it digesting breakfast.

She opens one of the French doors lined with white curtains and she gestures for me to go in first. I take a seat in one of the chairs and awkwardly wait while she closes the door before walking over to the desk and she sits on the edge.

"What did you want to talk about?"

Mum crosses her arms, "I think you know what this is about."

"Uhm, I honestly don't," I let out a breathy laugh and her expression wipes away any hint of a smile I have. "Did I do something?"

"Not per se, but it's something that you've allowed."

"And what am I supposed to have allowed?"

"That . . . that boy you're dating."

"Ha! Boy? He's twenty-five, Mum. That hardly classifies to be under the term 'boy.'"

"That's not what I was referring to," she quips and my smile fades.

"Okay, then what were you referring to?"

"I don't think he's the right one for you."

"Oh you don't?" I rhetorically ask. "Please, tell me why you think that the kindest, sweetest, smartest, funniest, most amazing man I've ever met is wrong for your only daughter. Go on. I'm listening."