Chapter 44 • Throwing In The Towel

"The time is 7:18PM on Sunday, November twenty-ninth."

I let out a sigh, tucking my phone in my shirt pocket and I pet Maggie's head.

"Do you think she forgot? O-or changed her mind?" I ask and Maggie lets out a high-pitched whimper, moving her head off of my lap and a round of knocks makes her bark. "It's okay, Maggie," I coo, pushing my sunnies further up on my nose and I grab onto the harness. "Okay here goes. Take me to the door, please."

As she guides me from the sofa, I inhale one last nervous breath and let it out slowly. I've had a couple hours to prepare for this moment, but since she sounded a little distant or cold over the phone, I'm not quite sure that she'll forgive me.

Maggie stops me from walking and I feel around for the door handle, letting out one last nervous breath.

"Who is it?"

"It's me." Her voice through the door sounds soft and I open the door. "Aw, hey, Maggie," she greets her and I know by the way she's cooing that she's petting her. "Hi, good girl. Oh you smell what's in this container, don't you?" she giggles and quietly clears her throat. "Hello, Harry."

"Hello, JJ."

"Sorry for being a tad late."

"That's quite alright," I say with a small smile, gesturing my hand. "Please come in, won't you?"

"But I thought I was picking you up so we can go to dinner?"

"Oh, I came up with an idea right after we hung up on the phone. I hope you don't mind."

"Uhm, sure. Don't mind at all."

I step aside and recognize the unmistakable sound of high heels hitting the wood flooring so I know she's inside now. I close the door and reach down for the harness, sensing JJ's presence near me and her quiet gasp lets me know she has noticed it.

Thanks to Michal and Gemma for dropping everything at the last minute to help me, JJ and I have a candle-lit semi-gourmet meal consisting of chicken fettuccine Alfredo and salad, a bottle of wine and two dozen roses. Even though they reassured me that this will work, I have my doubts this plan will actually make up for my mistake.

"You did all of this for me?" her voice is soft and inviting and it gives me hope.

"Of course I did, love. I had help, mind you, but it was my idea. I thought we could use the privacy," I explain and she hums in acknowledgement. "Michal made pasta. Are you hungry now?"

"Yes, but can we talk first?"

"Yeah. We can heat up the food in the microwave if need be. Shall we have a seat on the couch then?" I ask and JJ hums in answer and I let Maggie guide me the few paces over to the couch. "Where are you sitting, love?"

"I'm on the right side. If you just sit, you'll be fine."

"Alright, thank you," I say, feeling for the seat with my hand and I sit down. "Sit, Maggie. Good girl. There. Now that we're all settled," I pause, turning towards JJ. "I'm-"

"Sorry."

We breathe out a quiet laugh at the fact that we apologized at the same time and I feel her hand touch mine. As our fingers interlock, I feel relieved and nervous at the same time.

"JJ, love, you have nothing to apologize for. It was all me. I let my own feelings become more important than yours and I felt emasculated by the situation, so I took it out on you. I'm so sorry, love, and I hope you can forgive me."

She sighs, gently squeezing my hand, "I'll forgive you, but only if you'll forgive me."

"But you didn't do anything wrong."