Chapter 62 • The Naughty List

"Now that we're finished with dinner, who wants to open presents?"

Maggie barks as if on cue to Mum's question, making us all laugh and I reach down to pet her head to calm her.

"I'd say someone's excited to open her presents," JJ coos.

"She just doesn't want to be left out from any of the fun," I explain as a joke, earning laughter from everyone.

"I don't blame her one bit," she replies with a cute giggle, placing her hand on my shoulder.

I grin because I know what she's going to do and I turn in her direction, puckering my lips for a kiss.

"Good grief, I was right," Gemma smugly says.

"Right about what?" Mum curiously asks.

"These two don't need mistletoe, or any reason for that matter, for an opportunity to kiss."

"That's right, Gem; we don't," I match her smugness, bringing JJ's hand up to my lips and I press a kiss to it like a gentleman would do.

"Alright, everyone just calm down," Mum chides, but I can tell by her tone that she's smiling. "Let's clear the table before this goes on any further."

"I'll help with the dishes," JJ offers.

"Actually, if everyone takes their plate and a dish to the sink, we'll have the table cleared in no time."

With everyone in agreement to Mum's suggestion, I move to stand from the table and JJ touches my arm.

"I'll stack your plate on mine, but if you carry your glass, that'll help me a lot."

I grin at her words, "What a team we are."

"Mhm," JJ hums favorably, guiding my hand to my glass and I raise it to my mouth. "Oh it's empty, love. Would you like another?"

"No, that's fine. I need to save room for Mum's Yorkshire pudding and Gem's apple spiced cider."

"Oo, the pudding sounds yummy."

"It is. It's Gram's old recipe and also a Selley-Styles tradition," I explain as she starts guiding me to what I assume is the kitchen.

"That sounds lovely," she says, slowing us to a complete stop. "If you hand me your glass, I'll put it in the sink."

The sound of the water running lets me know someone is at the sink and I assume it's Gemma since that's the household chore she has always preferred even while growing up.

"Would you like me to resume my title as Head Dish Dryer?" I ask and JJ laughs quite loudly, capturing my attention. "What's so funny?"

"Remember that time a while back ago, when I cooked for us at my place, and I called you Mr. Hair Dryer instead of Head Dish Dryer?"

"Ah yes," I smile at the memory. "It was adorable, by the way."

She breathes out a quiet laugh, moving closer to me and I wrap my arms around her to embrace her in a hug. I rest my head on top of hers as we gently sway together and I smile in contentment right now.

The truth is, is that I'm trying to enjoy every second of this time with her because something in my gut tells me that our perfect relationship will come to a crashing end, and it will all be because of JJ's mum.

"I'm just giving the dishes a quick rinse before putting them in the washer, so you two don't have to end your hug."

"Thanks, Gem," I match her playful teasing tone and kiss the top of JJ's head, repositioning my arms around her waist.