Chapter 40 • Crossed The Line

Soft, melodic humming brings me out of my sleep and I inhale a deep breath, stretching my muscles. The hint of perfume in the air and the different sounds let me know I'm not in my own bed and I remember I stayed at JJ's place last night.

As I let out the breath in the form of a yawn, I relax into the bed and I feel her presence next to me.

"Good morning, JJ."

"Good morning, Harry," she replies, cuddling within my outstretched arm.

She rests her head on my shoulder, leaning her body into me with her leg on top of mine and I hear her take in a breath that will no doubt turn into a yawn. Like all yawns, it's inevitably contagious and I turn my head to yawn as to not have my morning breath fan over her. She giggles lazily, scooting even closer and her knee presses onto my full bladder.

As she peppers kisses on my chest, I bite my lip in order to distract myself from the painful feeling in my lower stomach. She slides her arm under the sheet to drape across my waist and I clear my throat.

"Uhm, I hate to spoil this moment, but I need to use the toilet."

"Oh, yeah, of course," she moves off of me and I hurriedly pull the covers back, realizing I'm still naked.

I sit up on the edge of the bed and feel around for the nightstand, searching for my white cane. As I unfold it, I feel the bed move and I assume JJ's getting up as well.

"Here's your robe. I think you'll like it. It's very soft," she explains, draping it over my shoulders and I stand up to put my arms through the sleeves. "I kept the softness factor in mind while shopping for it."

"Thank you, love," I reply, not even bothering to tie the belt. "Wait, would you like to go first?"

"No, I'm fine. I promise."

"Okay. Can you guide me to the door then?"

"Of course, love," she says, bringing my hand to elbow. "It's about six paces away and the path is clear."

I nod in acknowledgement and she starts leading me the way. She stops us from walking and guides my hand to what I feel is the door frame.

"Here we are. I'll be right here if you need me. Oh and I put your toiletry bag on the counter in the corner."

"Thanks, love, but I just need a wee," I say, rushing inside and I shut the door behind me.

I've only used her loo a couple times, but I remember where everything is and where she keeps things placed. I lift the seat and after I relieve myself, I fumble around to find the handle and I flush the toilet, simultaneously putting the seat back down.

While I wash my hands with her apple cinnamon-scented hand soap, I figure since I don't need to hurry for JJ to use the toilet, I decide to brush my teeth.

With my hands thoroughly dried, I feel around on the countertop where she said she put the toiletry bag. I unzip it and feel around inside, recognizing a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush. After I open the packaging, I begin brushing my teeth, appreciating the mint flavor and soft bristles she chose for me.

I use my hand to cup some water up to my mouth and I swish before spitting into the sink. I make sure there are no toothpaste remnants and I pat my mouth and chin dry. After making sure my robe is tied shut, I open the door and wait at the doorway, feeling around for my white cane.

"JJ?"

"M'right here, love," she says, placing her hand on my shoulder. "Feel better?"

"Yes, much better. Thank you," I wrap my arms around her waist, leaning my head down and I pucker my lips.