Chapter 70 • What The Future Holds

"What?"

"Move in with me," I repeat my words and she exhales heavily.

"I . . . I need to use the loo."

I nod in acknowledgement, moving down her body until I've slipped from her and I move to lay next to her. The bed shakes a bit until she gets out and I hear the door to the loo close. I exhale a heavy breath, covering my face with my hands in embarrassment and it's now that I remember.

"Shit," I huff a breath, reaching down beneath the sheet to remove the condom. In my hazy, post-orgasmic state, I wrap it up in a tissue and set it on my nightstand to discard later. As I settle on my back, I hear the toilet flush and I don't know why but I want to pretend I'm asleep.

The click of the door startles me and I decide to just man up and not pretend I've fallen asleep. She doesn't say anything as she walks over and I feel the bed dip on her side.

"M'gonna use the loo also."

She acknowledges me with a hum and I reach for my white cane on the nightstand instead of waking Maggie now. Standing up, I unfold it and I feel around for the wadded tissue paper to kill two birds with one stone.

Moving my white cane in a sweeping motion, I walk across the room until I hear the change in sounds on the floor and echoes bouncing off the walls. Once I'm inside the loo, I shut the door behind me with my elbow and I lean my cane against the counter.

With my palm against the countertop's ledge, I walk over to the corner where the rubbish bin is and discard the tissue. I take another step, reaching down to raise the seat on the toilet and I relieve myself.

If I weren't still buzzing from having sex, I'd let my insecurities take over and break down at the fact that I completely made a fool of myself. I hope JJ doesn't think it was the endorphins rushing that made me ask her to move in together because it wasn't.

The euphoric feeling leaves my body and I flush the toilet before putting the seat back down for her convenience. I walk the three steps over to the sink to wash my hands and I decide to brush my teeth again.

A minute or so later, it's with a huffed minty breath that I turn around to the linen closet and I feel around on the middle shelf for a pair of boxer shorts I keep there for emergencies. After I put them on, I feel for my white cane where I left it and I open the door.

"I'm in the bed," she quietly says and I'm somewhat surprised and relieved.

I thank her and I start walking over to the bed with the help of my white cane to guide me. Once I'm by my side of the bed, I fold the cane to set on my nightstand and I sit on the edge of the bed. As I lay down, I let out a yawn, hoping that she doesn't bring it up because I'd rather be let down in the morning.

I lay on my back to stretch out my legs and I feel her move closer, pulling the covers up over us as if to tuck us in. I raise my arm and it's like cuddling comes naturally to us; with her leaning her body on half of mine, laying her head on my chest and I wrap my arm around her back.

Closing my eyes, I decide to just lay here and hold my girlfriend in my arms as we go to sleep.

"June second."

Her quiet words pull me out of any kind of sleepy state that I'm in and she moves within my arm to what I assume is on her stomach so she can look at me. I don't want to assume anything, so I move to lay on my side to give her my full attention.

"What's that date?" I casually ask to make sure.

"It's the day my lease is up for renewal, or not."