Chapter 36 • The Rest Is History

I don't think I've ever been this nervous before. When JJ asked if I would go with her to her family's Thanksgiving, I was flattered, elated even that she wanted me to meet her family and then the nerves kicked in.

My first impression will create their opinion about me and I don't want to ruin it so thankfully Gemma spent the morning with me going through my closet to pick out something impressive to wear. Since she's my eyes, I'm trusting the single breasted suit jacket, a plain dress shirt paired with nice slacks and my loafers will make for a good impression.

"Here we are," JJ mutters under her breath as if she's talking to herself.

As she slows the car down, I hold onto the bottle of wine on my lap and allow my body to sway into the turn. The sound and roughness of the ride lets me know we're on gravel, presumably her parents' driveway and my stomach does a flip because it's only a matter of minutes now.

"Aw, Cousin Will and Parker are here. I bet they brought Auntie Marilyn with them. I don't see her car. Oh I just realized this will be the first holiday without Uncle Larry."

"He's the uncle who passed away last month?"

She hums in answer and I feel her bringing the car to a stop. The engine stops and a clicking sound lets me know she's unbuckled her belt. I, on the other hand, am not too excited to leave her car.

"Tell me what's on your mind," she says and I feel her hand on my shoulder.

"Nothing, love. Are you ready to go in now?"

"I'll be ready when you tell me the truth. Harry, I know you're nervous and it's okay. I was nervous before meeting your sister and mum, and that turned out splendidly. I have every confidence my family will like you."

"Okay," I exhale a nervous breath. "Did you tell them?"

"Tell them what?"

"Y'know," I give her a hint by pushing my sunnies further up my nose, "that I'm blind."

"No, because it's a minor detail, remember?"

"JJ, that's . . . I think you should've told them . . . to give them fair warning so they're not shocked. Shit, this is . . . they're-"

"Harry, love, shhh, it's okay," she cups my cheek, gently turning my head toward her. "It'll be fine. You're gonna charm their socks off with your wit, your intelligence and your handsomeness," she hums, carding her hand through my hair. "You are very handsome. I love this suit jacket, by the way."

I exhale a calming breath, not wanting to start a disagreement and I thank her for the compliment.

"Are we ready to go in now?" she asks and I nod in answer. "Great. I'll take the wine and I'll come around on your side. But first, I want a kiss."

"Yeah?"

"Mhm, c'mere," she whispers, cupping my cheek and I lean in closer.

Our lips touch and I inhale sharply at the feel, placing my hand on her arm. The material of her clothes feels soft and I can only imagine what she looks like in her dress. Our kiss is simple and sweet, yet effective since the butterflies in my stomach have stopped swarming and I peck her lips.

"I'm ready to meet your family now."

"Good. I'll come around."

She takes the wine from my lap before getting out of the car and while I wait, I run my hand through my hair one last time and I clear my throat. There's no turning back when she opens my door and I unfold my white cane while stepping out.

"It's gravel, just so you know."

"Thanks, but I knew when you pulled in."

"Show off," she teases, guiding my hand to her elbow and we start walking. "I wish you would've brought Maggie. I think she would've calmed you down some."