Chapter 67 • Missed My Chance

"In one-hundred and twenty-two meters, turn right onto Salisbury Road."

Gripping the steering wheel a little tighter at my GPS's instructions, I blow out a breath to calm the nervous butterflies swarming around in my stomach. I've always been nervous before visiting my parents, more so my mum, but this time is different than any other time.

I'm about to stand up for myself to my mum, which is long overdue. I've rehearsed what I'm going to say and how I'm going to say it because I'm sure my emotions will take over at some point.

"Turn right, now."

With the help of the street light illuminating the street sign, I turn into the car park of the country club. I had planned on getting here earlier to talk with my parents in private, but it took me a little longer than expected to get dressed. Thanks to Trish's willingness to help and her emergency makeup bag, she did my hair and makeup, more than what I usually wear, claiming that it was for 'the new and improved JJ.'

After I park in the first available spot, I stop the GPS directions and shut off the engine. In the quietness of my car, I can hear my heartbeat in my ears and I blow out a breath to calm myself. I check my lipstick in the visor mirror and give myself a pep talk.

"You can do this, JJ. You're strong, you're confident, you're beautiful and you're gonna stand up for yourself," I confidently say, fixing a stray strand of hair to put back in place. "Perfect. Let's go."

I take my keys from the ignition before getting out and I swing the door shut behind me. After I make sure the skirt of my dress is smoothed out of the wrinkles from sitting, I make my way up the covered grand driveway, holding my formal coat close to me to avoid the cold wind seeping through.

As I approach the grand entrance, the doormen manning the doors make eye contact with me and I watch their jaws drop. I'm not used to positive attention from men, so this definitely puts a spring in my high heeled step.

"Good ev'ning, miss," one of the young men greets me as he opens the door.

"Thank you, gentlemen," I greet them with a smile before walking inside.

Loud music echoes throughout the long corridor and I follow the sound until I reach the banquet hall. The lavish decorations, impressive buffet that's making my stomach growl, and live Jazz band are sure to make for a classy and lovely way to ring in the new year.

The club employees who are dressed in their formal black and white uniforms complete with gloves are working fast to finish with the last minute details before all the guests arrive and I'm greeted by a familiar smile.

"Hello, peanut," Dad greets me with a pleasant smile and invites me in for a hug. "You look stunning."

"Oh thank you," I shyly say, tucking my hair behind my ear. "And you look quite dashing in your tux."

"Thanks. You know something, I've always felt like a penguin when I wear these suits," he jokes, making me laugh. "M'glad you could make it, but where's Harry? Is he in the John?"

"Oh uhm, no. Actually, we broke up."

"Really? Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, JJ. Are you okay?" he asks and I take a few seconds to think of my answer.

"To be honest, no, but I will be."

"Do I need to have a talk with the lad?"

"No, no, it's fine. I guess you could say it was mutual," I explain and he nods in understanding. "Listen. Where's Mum? I really need to talk with her."

"I think she went to the ladies' room to freshen up."

"Oh. I'll just wait here then," I say, glancing around the room. "It's really lovely."