Chapter 11 • Unexpectedly

"Hi, Dad," I greet him and it's silent on the other end. I pull the phone away from my ear to see if I accidentally hung up on him, but the call timer is still counting.

"JJ?" his voice is quiet through the receiver and I bring my phone back to my ear.

"Ah, there you are. Thought I lost you."

"No, peanut, uhm, I don't know how to tell you this."

I get that unsettling feeling in my stomach and I sit down on the edge of my bed, "Oh no, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, but Uncle Lawrence passed away."

"What? No," I close my eyes, leaning my elbow over my leg and let my head fall in my hand. "When?"

"Late this morning. He had a heart attack at work."

"Oh my God, I can't believe this. We just saw him for your birthdays last month! He seemed fine."

"I know," he breathes out a shaky breath.

"H-how are you doing?"

"I can't believe it either. I'm still in a state of shock. I just hung up with Marilyn. Poor thing was near hysterics."

"Oh God, poor Auntie Marilyn. Is Cousin Will with her?"

"Yes, both he and Parker were able to catch a train from Leeds straight away so they've been with her for a few hours now."

"Good," I sigh in relief and hear him sniff. "Oh Dad, please don't cry."

"I miss my brother." His broken voice and sobs pierce my heart.

"Can I come stay with you and Mum tonight and tomorrow night?"

"Of course you can, JJ. You don't have to ask. I'll let your mum know you're coming."

"Okay uhm, I'm gonna pack a few things then I'll head out. I love you, Dad."

"I love you, too, peanut."

I end the call, wiping away a tear from my cheek and I walk over to my closet. I grab a small overnight bag from the back and set it on my bed to start packing. It fills up fast when I add my shoes and toiletry bag, but everything seems to fit and I zip it closed with ease.

After gathering my work bag I'll need for Monday, I scan my bedroom for anything that I might've missed and I spot my phone charger. I wrap it neatly before tucking it in the side zipper and I decide to use the toilet.

While I wash my hands, I check out my reflection in the mirror and decide not to change out of my comfy jeans and jumper just to save time. Huffing a breath, I walk over to my bed and grab my bags.

As I head downstairs, the sound of the water running in the aquarium reminds me and I grab my phone to call Trish. While I sprinkle some fish food inside, I wait for her to answer and I twist the cap back on the food.

"Hey, love."

"Hey, Trish, uhm, so my dad just called me."

"Yeah? Everything okay?"

"No. My uncle Larry passed unexpectedly today."

"Oh God, I'm so sorry."

"Thank you. I'm headed over to my parents' house for a couple nights. I need to make sure my dad's okay. Anyways, I'm wondering if you can swing by my townhouse tomorrow, whenever it's convenient for you, just to feed my fishies."

"Sure, of course, love. You don't need to worry. I'll take care of Romeo and Juliet."

"Oh thank you. I really appreciate it. I plan to go to work on Monday and I'll just take off for the funeral. Don't know when it'll be, though."