Chapter 9 • Make Up For It

"You were correct," I admit, setting my fork on my empty plate.

"I know . . . about what?" Harry asks, making me laugh at his joke.

"That this place has really good pies, and the club sandwich was probably the best one I've ever had. How was your soup and key lime pie?"

"Superb, as usual, and I'm glad you liked this place."

"I wouldn't have known about it had you not suggested it, so thank you, Harry." He smiles toward me and it's then I see it. Thinking quickly, I grab the last napkin and touch his fingers with it. "Uhm, here's a napkin, if you want to do a quick swipe over your chin."

"Ah yes, thank you, JJ," he says and wipes his mouth, letting out a breath. "And thank you for sharing some of your bacon with Maggie," he reaches down and pets her head. "You love B-A-C-O-N. Don't you, Maggie?"

"Of course I'd share with her. She's really a good dog."

"Yeah, when I first met her two years ago, we clicked instantly. I've only had one other guide dog; Burt. Got him ten years ago. Then he started to get too old. Pets are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but when they become your eyes for everything, when you depend on them, it's, I don't know, more, and not to diminish household pets at all."

"No, I get what you're saying. With all the research I've done this week, it's opened my mind to what the visually impaired go through. It's admirable, really, in a non-sympathetic way."

His facial expression is serious and it's almost like he wasn't expecting me to say that. He shifts in the booth, inhaling a deep breath only to let it out.

"It's called Retinopathy of Prematurity, ROP for short," he says and I mentally prepare myself for what he's about to tell me. "I was born three months premature; supposed to be born in May, but I guess I wanted to be born in the month of love."

"Aw, so you were born in February then. What day?"

"The first," he answers. "When's your birthday?"

"December first."

"Ah, so we're a Christmastime baby and a Valentine's baby," he chuckles and my smile fades.

"Oh I'm sorry I interrupted you. Please, go on."

"It's okay, JJ. Anyways, I was in the NICU for nearly two months; had breathing issues and all that, and that's when the doctors noticed my eyes. I had several tests done and while my lungs had fully developed, my eyes never did, so I was diagnosed with ROP."

"My God, thats just so-," I pause to reword my sympathy. "I'm glad you came through."

"Thanks. Me, too," he grins, inching his hand closer to his coffee cup and he takes a sip. "My mum raised me to believe that I'm not any different than anyone else and that I can do whatever I put my mind to, but to also know that everyone has their own set of limitations."

"She sounds like a smart woman."

"She is. I love her dearly. My parents divorced when Gem and I were little, so it's just been us three for quite a few years, but my dad still sends birthday cards and all that. We're all on good terms. My mum, though, she's my hero. She did what she had to do to provide for us." His tone and smile say everything I need to know about how he treats his family and women in general. "That's pretty much it about my family. Tell me about yours."

"Oh okay, but get ready to be bored," I say half-jokingly. "I'm an only child raised in a privileged home with everything handed to me on a silver platter, but I never met my mum's standards, and I still don't. It's really something when your mum showcases your straight-A report cards and equestrian trophies and not pictures of her child who achieved them."