Chapter 64 • Learn How To Face It

It's been five days of sheer misery. If it weren't for my job or needing to take Maggie outside, I wouldn't have gotten out of my bed at all this week. It's also been five days of not talking to or texting JJ and the fact that she hasn't initiated a phone call or text lets me know she's chosen to secure her financial future.

And I'm okay with it because that's more important than what I want. I just wish the pain of losing her will go away quickly because this is unbearable. Since JJ was my first girlfriend, I've never had to go through a breakup before and I really don't care for it.

Unlike our last disagreement that resulted in us taking a step back in our relationship only for the length of one afternoon, this time it's different. It's permanent. But if I had to do it all over again; meet JJ and learn all those things about her and fall madly in love with her, knowing that I wouldn't spend my forever with her, I'd do it because she's just that wonderful of a person.

One thing that's helped me get through this is my job. I'm grateful for it because otherwise I would've wallowed in self-pity at home. It wasn't extremely busy this week considering it's between Christmas and New Year's, but the dogs I had to train kept my mind occupied.

It's Friday afternoon and not only am I exhausted physically, but I'm even more exhausted emotionally. Even though I know it's over and there's no chance of getting back together, I can't stop myself from thinking about her.

"Have a lovely weekend, Harry."

I incline my ear to the voice and it takes me a second to recognize. "Thanks, Doris. You, too."

"Thank you, love. Do you know if Gemma's on her way?"

"Yeah, at least she should be. I'll wait outside so you don't have to wait."

"Nonsense. It's starting to snow now. We'll wait right here until she arrives."

"Are you sure? I don't want to spoil your evening plans."

"What plans? That leftover fried rice in the ice box isn't going anywhere."

Grinning at her joke, I feel around for my employee card and I clock out for the day. As I put it back in its place, my phone vibrates in my shirt pocket.

"New text from Gem: I'm parked outside whenever you're ready."

"Seems like we don't have to wait at all," she says and I nod with a smile, reaching down for Maggie's harness. "Would you like my elbow?"

"Thanks, but Maggie and I've got it," I explain and we start making our way out of the building.

"Alright, the door is locked. Oh and I see that Gemma's parked at the end of the pathway. If you walk about twenty paces, you'll head straight to her car."

"Thanks, Doris. G'night."

"G'night, Harry," she says and I tug on the harness.

"Alright, Maggie, take me to the car, please."

The chilly air makes me shiver and I start walking a tad faster. Maggie stops me from walking and I hear the door shut.

"Hey, love bug," Gemma greets me and I huff out a breath, forcing a smile.

"Hey, Gem."

"At least I wasn't late," she says and I breathe out a laugh. "Alright, c'mon, let's go home." She guides my hand to what I assume is the handle. "If you get in, I'll get Maggie settled in the back."

I thank her while opening the door and I get inside her car and close the door as quickly to seal out the cold air. As I buckle my seatbelt, I incline my ear towards the back seat, thinking I've heard her voice.