Chapter 66 • Brand New

"C'mon, love, it'll be fun. Our friends are coming over, we're gonna play some music and dance around the house, oh, and Michal made some puff pastries, sweet and savory ones. I won't tell you how I know this, but they are out of this world."

I huff out a breath, unable to hide my irritation at Gemma's constant hounding, "I don't want to go. Plain and simple. M'gonna bid this terrible year goodbye and welcome the new year by sleeping."

"Oh c'mon, that's no fun. Let's party," she tugs on my hand as if she's going to pull me off of my couch.

"Gem, please?" I beg and she lets go with a sigh and I feel the seat next to me dip down.

"I know it hurts. It's gonna hurt for a while."

"Thanks for the pep talk," I sarcastically say.

"You didn't let me finish, you goof. Breakups are a bitch. I've been through a few and they're not fun, but you'll get over them eventually, and maybe meet the one."

"Mm no, I'm not dating anymore. I'm done. I'm gonna remain single for the rest of my life."

"I'm gonna ignore your gloom and doom because the heartache does go away. And it goes away even faster when you occupy your time with friends and family and not sulk in solitude. Now, I want you to get up and take a shower cos God knows you need one."

"Gem-"

"I'm not taking no for an answer," she shoves my shoulder, taking me by surprise. "Now get in the shower. Speaking of that, have you showered at all this weekend? You're looking a bit scruffy."

I bring my hand to my chin to scratch my whiskers, "I prefer to call it manly; rugged, even."

"It's called ignoring proper hygiene. You need to shower, Harry."

"Alright fine, but not because you told me to. It's because I'm starting to smell myself."

"Ha! Now's when your heightened sense of smell works in my favor and not yours."

Grinning at her joke, I scoot to the edge of the couch and I feel around for Maggie's harness.

"Alright, Maggie, take me to the loo, please." She guides me across the room and I reach out my hand for the door to get my bearings.

"I'm gonna head home to start decorating, but ring if you need me."

"Will do, Gem. And thank you."

"You're welcome. Don't forget to shave, oh and don't take too long. Everyone's expected over about nine, but if you and Maggie want to come over just a little bit earlier, that's fine."

"Okay," I wave in her general direction, stepping inside the loo and I pet Maggie's head. "Stay here, please. I'll be just a few minutes."

I close the door and feel my way to the shower, letting the tiles on the wall guide me. After I turn the water on, I take off my joggers and jumper that I haven't changed out of since Friday night. As I place them in the hamper, I wonder if Gemma will want to burn them instead of washing them.

I laugh at my joke, feeling the water with my hand to test the temperature and I pull back the curtain. I carefully step inside and draw the curtain closed and I can't hold back my emotions any longer. With my palms splayed out on the tile in front of me, I let my head fall under the steady stream and my tears begin to flow.

I haven't cried since Friday night; I've been too numb, plus I've come up with a brilliant idea that if I pretended JJ and I were never even in a relationship, then it won't hurt as much. But right now, it's too real for me and it feels like my heart is literally breaking in my chest.