Chapter 13 • Hit The Ground Running

With the help of the overhead garage light, I'm able to see so I can lift my suitcase into the back of my car. I feel a twinge of soreness spreading from my inner thighs to my obliques and muscles I thought were nonexistent and I realize it's from the horseback ride I took the other night.

"Here you go," Dad quietly says, handing over my work bag and I nestle it between my suitcase and the back of the seats.

"I guess that's it. Okay so, I have my purse, phone, charger, keys . . ." I rattle off my checklist to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

"Thank you for coming, JJ. I don't know what I would've done without you the past couple days."

"Of course, Dad. I just wish I could do more for you and Auntie Marylin. I feel so helpless."

"Now, JJ, promise me you won't focus on that right now. You have a long drive into work."

"You know I can't promise that, but I'll try."

He mirrors my sad smile, opening his arms to invite me for a hug. I press the button to close the hatchback on my car and I hug my dad. His warm embrace is comforting and I remind myself that I have to be strong for him.

"Alright," he pats my back, ultimately ending our hug, "I don't want you to be late for work, even though you won't since you've insisted on leaving at such an ungodly hour," he teases, making me smile. "Now, do you have enough petro?"

"Yes, I filled up before I came here on Saturday. So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow for the y'know . . ." I trail off he nods in answer, clearing his throat. "Alright, well, tell Mum bye for me. I didn't want to disrupt her morning yoga and meditation session."

"Will do, peanut. I'll see you tomorrow," he steps closer and kisses my forehead before walking me over to the driver's side door. "I love you, peanut."

"I love you, too, Dad. Now go back to bed," I tease and he jokingly pulls at his robe's collar.

He opens the door for me and once I'm inside, he closes the door and smiles. Smiling back, I wave goodbye and buckle my seatbelt before turning on the engine.

As I slowly pull out of the long driveway, I look in my rear view mirror and start to get choked up. Saying goodbye to my dad hurts under normal circumstances but when there's a death in the family, it's much worse.

I blow out a refreshing breath, reminding myself that I won't have time to reapply my makeup before work. In an attempt to distract myself, I put the radio on before turning onto the main road.

The hour and ten-minute drive goes by excruciatingly slow, especially when I catch the morning rush hour commute, but I figure this quiet time is good for me since I'll need to hit the ground running as soon as I get into the office.

I have a few upcoming projects that have taken the back burner ever since I found out about the big hotel project. I'm honest enough with myself to admit that since my plans were rejected for the Arlington project, I haven't been inspired to work or create.

I've come to the conclusion that life would be so much easier if I could just hide away in my bedroom with an unending bag of potato crisps and countless chocolate bars.

Reality hits me when I pull into the employee garage and I park in my designated spot. I turn off the engine, huffing out a calming breath and my phone chimes. I take it from the holder and smile at the text notification, swiping it open.

'Good morning, JJ. I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and I wish you a good day at work.'

I can't control my smile at Harry's text and I check my watch for the time. I have a few minutes before I need to head inside, so I start typing my response.