Chapter 6 • It's A Date

After a long day, it's time to clock out and go home. This is the first time I can say that I didn't put one-hundred percent into my tasks. While I did complete them, my mind was elsewhere thinking of what I'm going to say to JJ when I call her tonight.

This is uncharted territory for me and even though Michal and Gemma gave me great advice last night, I'm still nervous.

Holding on tightly to Maggie's harness with my left hand, I feel for the metal display mounted on the wall. Since my employee card is purposely placed in the last slot, it's easy for me to find and I swipe it through the time clock machine mounted next to the holder.

The beep lets me know I've successfully clocked out for the day and I place the card back in its slot.

"Have a good night, Harry."

I take a second to recognize her voice and I turn towards her, pushing my sunnies up further on my nose.

"You, too, Doris. Will you be here tomorrow?"

"Not in the morning. I have that C-section for the Landford's Terrier in Manchester first thing. Wish me luck."

"We wish you all the luck," I offer with a smile, petting Maggie's head.

"Thank you. I'm getting ready to lock up. Is Gemma here to pick you up yet?"

"She hasn't texted me like she usually does," I curiously hum, reaching into my shirt pocket and I double check that the ringer is on.

"I can keep you and Maggie company if you'd like."

"You don't have to stay, Doris. Gemma should be here soon. She probably just got stuck in traffic. Maggie and I will wait outside so you can leave."

"Alright, but only if you're sure."

"I'm sure," I say, grabbing ahold of the harness. "Alright, Maggie, take me to the door, please."

Once we're outside, I inhale the fresh air and I hear Doris' keys jangle to lock the door.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I'm sure. Have a good night, Doris."

"You, too, Harry and you, too, Maggie."

A grin spreads across my face and I wave in Doris' general direction. As I take my phone from my pocket, loud successive honks earn my attention, causing Maggie to bark.

"It's okay, Maggie," I coo, petting her head to calm her. "It's just Gem. I know her car's honk." The sound of tires rolling over the gravel stops, letting me know the car is parked and I grab onto her harness. "Alright, Maggie, take me to the car, please."

She leads me to the curb and stops us as the sound of the engine gets closer and I hear a door slam shut.

"M'so sorry I'm late," Gemma says, guiding my hand to the door handle.

"It's okay. We didn't wait that long."

"Good. My boss called a staff meeting fifteen till and he's a tad long winded. Here, I've got Maggie."

I thank her and open the door to get inside. After Gemma gets Maggie settled in the back seat, she gets in and exhales a heavy breath.

"You didn't speed to get here quicker, did you?" I ask, putting on my seatbelt and she scoffs.