Chapter 3 - Training

After Sapphire had some rest after her hunt to kill some vampires, she brought me back outside to a training area so she could teach me a few tricks. It was the afternoon also, and a bit hot. Of course it was summer. Birds were tweeting in the trees, which made me look up at them. They were little black ravens, which suited the theme of the world. 

"Focus on me, Emilia." she ordered me. I quickly obeyed her, looking to see what she was doing. She had her arms crossed. Her long brown hair was tied up in a neat ponytail and her eyes had a quite of a serious look to them. Sapphire cleared her throat, before she started to explain what we were going to do.

"Okay, vampire hunting is not fun and games, as you can probably tell. They pretend to be human, when they are actually not. You listening?" she asked me. I nodded. "Yes, Sapphire."

"Good," she started again as she walked towards a tree with a large target circle nailed into it, then she picked up a silver knife, "This is another weapon, as you can tell its silver. A vampire's weakness. When they get stabbed by it, they will get stunned for a few seconds. Then, you take the good old stake and jab it into their heart. Understood?" she asked.

"Yes, Sapphire." I told her. To be honest, she was kind of scaring me with her strong tone. 

Then, I watched her take a few steps back from the tree until she stopped at a medium sized rock with a red marker on it. She looked behind, her eyes landing on mine before she threw the knife. "Bullseye." she said before she looked back at the target. The knife was actually at the bullseye! Wow...

"Now, it's your turn." she said to me, before she walked towards the target and pulled out the knife. Um...

"You can do it," Sapphire started to encourage me, walking back towards me and handing the knife to me, "Walk towards the rock with the red marker on it and hold the end of the knife." she instructed me. And so I did. 

I held the end of the knife, my hands beginning to sweat at how hot it was out here. I was not wearing my night wear, by the way. I was wearing Sapphire's spare black vest and black padded trousers. I needed a good shower or something after this. 

"Move your arm back, aim then throw." she continued to instruct me. This was nerve racking...

I moved my arm back, before aiming the tip of the knife at the target. I took a deep inhale before holding it in. Then, I threw the knife as hard as I possibly can...

The...The knife went into the middle! Well, it was pretty close...

I let out a sharp exhale before I began to pant. I looked over to Sapphire, who was quite as surprised as I am. She walked towards the target before looking at the knife. "Did I do it?" I asked her. She then gestured for me to come forward. 

Once I did, I realised that I had actually hit the middle. "I am really impressed with you, Emilia. Very well done. Amazing throw, might I add." she congratulated me before she pulled out the knife again. 

"Am I ready to kill a vampire or do I still need more practise?" I asked the big question. "Let's not kill a vampire tonight. We need to celebrate your birthday some more before we do that. Want to go back to that beautiful water fall?" she asked me as a reply.

"Sure!" 

"First, I need to take these bad boys back to the house. We will be back by dark." 

I nodded with a smile before I walked with Sapphire back to the house.

// This was my favourite chapter to write. Chapter 4 coming Monday.