Eight

Chapter name: after surgery

Scarlet

My hands went down to my stitches on instinct, thinking I was still bleeding out. I looked down, my hands were perfectly dry, not covered with blood.

I looked around, no one else was in the hospital room but me. It was just one really big room with several hospital beds and some equipment. My eye was hurting. Parts of my face hurt. I could tell I had a few bruises here and there. I touched my face where I was sliced, a bandage was over it. "Pretty girl no more." I sighed.

"I'm Nurse Kelly." I jumped a little hearing a voice. "Hello." I responded. I looked at the clock across the room. It was nine.... 9pm or 9am? What time was the meeting again? "When you were shot one of the bullet fragments had ruptured a major organ. We had to do an eight hour surgery. You can go back to school in two weeks. And your parents will explain about mission stuff." The nurse told me as she handed me a clipboard and a pen. "Sign your name and you can be off." She added. I wrote my name in cursive and then handed her the clipboard and pen back. She left, closing the door behind her.

I stood up from the bed I was laying in and made my way to where my clothes were. Someone had brought me clothes to change into. Guess they don't know that running around the mansion in just a towel is regular for me. And this hospital gown covered more than a towel.

Before I knew it Dakota was in the room with me. "You're up?" He asked as he closed the door behind him. "Obviously." I replied pulling up my hospital gown in front of him. "Ah what the fuck Scarlet!" He turned around as I threw the dress on the ground. "You're the one that came in while I was about to get dressed. Hope you like what you saw." I joked as I put a bra on. "Help me out with my bra." I ordered as I slipped a pair of shorts on, with my bra undone. "With?" He asked me. "Hooking it." I replied as I held the bra on my boobs. "Keep your boobs covered." He replied as he turned around to face me. He looked over my body for a second and then shook his head, coming up behind me and hooking my bra after some struggle.

"Thanks." I replied as I bent down and pulled my croptop over myself. I combed my fingers through my hair, feeling a knot like bump, probably when the guy slammed my head down. I put the hospital gown on the chair. I bent down and out Sandals on my feet. "Let's go make sure they know I'm alive." I told him as I opened the door and walked out. "They know you're alive." I could feel his eye-role.

As we got into the elevator he pressed the button to go up. "Can I see your phone please?" I asked him. "Uh why?" He looked at me confused. "I want to see how my face looks.. like how they made it." I referred to my fight with those men. He took out his phone then pressed on it a few times and handed it to me. He had it on the camera for me. I looked at my face. There was a bruise on my chin area, where I fell I guess, one on my cheek where I hit the knife into his shoulder, a bandage covering my scar on my other cheek, and a black eye above that.

"Wow." That's all I could say as I looked at myself. I handed Dakotas phone back. "You fought against two men. You did pretty good." Dakota smiled at me as the elevator door opened to the ground level floor. "And now my face has a permanent scar." I sighed as I stepped out. I barely stepped out of the elevator before I was wrapped in my moms arms. I wrapped mine around her too. We stayed like that before she pulled back. She was looking over my face with a sad look in her eyes. "Mom I'm fine." I reassured her as dad came up and also hugged me.

Then there was four more people in front of me. Bennett, Oliver, Paisley, and Dawson. Why is Dawson here...? Paisley ran up to me and hug attacked me. I laughed as I tried to catch my breath. She pulled back. "OK NO MORE HUGGING!!" I practically yelled. "You did a good job." Oliver smiled at me. "We need to go back to questioning that one guy." Bennett told Oliver. "I'm proud of you." Dawson added. I could see Dakota tense up beside me. I don't need anyone to be proud. I didn't do it for anyone but myself.

"Ella is on her way back." Dad looked proud of himself. "I missed her." I admitted. It's been a long time since I've seen her. "Come on Dakota. Let's go get something to eat." I ordered as I started walking. "I can accompany you instead of Dakota." Dawson perked up. "No. She's my responsibility." Dakota glares at Dawson as Oliver and Bennett left the hall to go question the man with my parents. Paisley sent a wink to me as Dakota said that. I rolled my eyes at her.

Dakota pov!!!!!

"I can accompany you instead of Dakota." The creepy freak smiled at Scarlet. I felt a weird feeling. A bad feeling. If I let him go I feel like something would happen. Of course if he tried anything Scarlet would have him on the ground crying in second. She isn't like other girls. She isn't like a damsel in distress. She doesn't want to be. She relies on herself. I guess that's just what she's been taught to do. But either way I wouldn't let Dawson be alone with her.

"No. She's my responsibility." I sent a glare at Dawson just as scarlets family left to go back to the guy who caused Scarlets face to look like that. I knew her face was hurting. All of those bruises and that scar on her face must have her in pain. In the elevator when she saw herself, her face dropped as she let out a painful "wow". I guess she didn't expect to be that beat up. If I would've been there then she wouldn't look like this. I am somewhat of her babysitter.

"Well Dakota, cant I have some time alone with my friend after she has just been attacked?" Dawson gritted his teeth in anger. What the hell is with this creep. "No." I told him as I put my hands on Scarlets back and led her down the hall towards the kitchen with Paisley walking along side us, like nothing out of the ordinary was happening. "Why not?" Dawson caught up to us and started walking with us as I kept my hand on scarlets back to keep her from stopping. "I'm her bodyguard." I replied bluntly, turning into the big and empty kitchen.

"Okok!" Scarlet got away from my hands and went to the pantry with Paisley, leaving Dawson and I together. "Listen. I don't want you around Scarlet alone. I hope you can understand that." I turned to face him. I was 6'1 while this guy was probably 5'10 or so. "She is my friend. You don't even care about her." He replied as he looked me in the eyes. "You creep me out. I don't trust your intentions with her." I told him straight up.

Before we could continue our little talk we heard a loud knock at the door. The kind that always put fear in everyone's bones. Scarlet and Paisley came out of the pantry with wide eyes. I looked at scarlet then passed the open kitchen door at the front door.