Five

Chapter name: meeting

Dakota's pov
This story will sometimes have some of Dakota's pov.

"I need you to exit the room now." Alec looked at Scarlet. I could visibly see the frustration on her face. She was holding something bad. God she is such a damn handful. I can't believe I got stuck babysitting. The only reason I'm in this is because my father was before he died. Now I have to support my mom and brother.

She stood up and immediately pulled her dress down, already knowing her butt would be out for everyone to see.

After she left my eyes went onto Alec. He was staring me down. "Sir?" I asked somewhat concerned for myself. I was just eyeing his daughter... but it's not like I actually like her.

"What did you do whenever the girl pulled the gun out on Scarlet?" He asked. "Jumped in front of her." I responded remembering the events that happened.

Earlier.

As soon as the gun was whipped out I knew what I had to do. I couldn't let her die. I immediately get up and stand in front of her. Babysitting includes putting your life on the line for a gang leaders daughter.

Scarlet wasn't like other girls. It's like she wasn't normal. Usually people would freak out getting a gun pulled out on them... Scarlet wasn't freaking out. She was even irritated I got in front of her.

Now.

"We need to talk about more concerning matters." I immediately knew what Alec was talking about. He was going to bring up the fact that people are out to kill his only daughter. "Jared's gang is after scarlet. There is two ways it could go down." Alec started.

"Jared is resourceful. He could always just kill her. Or make us pay in some way." He paused, looking at all of us.

Dawson raised his hand. Alec nodded for him to go. "In what way would he make us pay?" Dawson asked. I rolled my eyes at that creep. I see the way he looks at Scarlet. His eyes are almost always on her. One reason of why I pulled her away today is because Dawson was giving me bad vibes. Could he be working for the other gang? Beside him was two members from Scarlets team... which is now my team. None of her other friends were in here aside from Paisley and Dawson. With Paisley sitting on the other side of the empty seat that was in between us.

"Jared could do many things..." Alec responded with a sigh. He looked like he was thinking about something important. I looked at Paisley, she was looking down at the table sadly. Is she worried about Scarlet? She acts like something will happen to scarlet while I'm guarding her. But then again... I guess anything could happen. Especially if I wasn't around.

"Like?" Connor asked. Speaking out would usually get someone in trouble but Alec has a soft spot for his friends. I wonder if he tells Temperance everything that goes on in here.? I shook my head out of thought as Alec replied. "I'm thinking he could hold her hostage there or sell her. He can do anything."

"Let's just hope this isn't something similar to what happened to Temperance." Ethan said. I saw Alecs face tense up. "Do not speak of that. And do not compare my daughter to that. None of that will ever happen to her. They won't take her." Alec replied through gritted teeth. I could see the hand he usually shoots with twitch. What happened to Scarlets mom..? Does Scarlet even know? Was Temperance ever kidnapped? I shook my head, pushing the thoughts back, it's none of my business.

"Sorry boss." Ethan sighed. Alec closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. A hand went up. Dawson's hand. Alec nodded for him to speak. "Won't she need someone to guard her? I could definitely take the job." He offered. Wow funny bud. Not an easy job but you can have it if you want.

"We have someone for that." Alec directed his eyes to me. I sat up straight, feeling awkward, as Alecs eyes were on me and as Dawson's fuming eyes were on me. If looks could kill I'd be dead.

Not a moment later the lights went out. I heard a few gasps around the pitch black room. I heard people taking their guns out as I took mine out. It could just be a regular power outage, but we are trained to always be ready. A few seconds passed and the red lights were now on. I looked around the room, a few had their guns out, a few were taking them out. I turned to look at Paisley, her gun was out but her eyes darted around the room to look at everyone.

"Zander go look at the cameras, Rea should be in there so ask her what is happening. Ethan go with Bee and Connor to go reboot the system and see if anything is wrong. Dakota go find my daughter. Bennett you come with me to check your mother. Everyone else split up and look for intruders." Alec ordered. I exited the room with other behind me, all going to different places.

I went to room to room finding her. Even knocked on all bathroom doors and her bedroom door. I ran down the several flights of stairs to the basement floor. One of her favorite places is the shooting arena.

I walked down the red glowing hall, passing many doors, with one place to go, one person to find. The lights were still off, the system was still down. My finger was on the trigger, ready to shoot anyone. She could've told me where she was going. That would've been a lot more helpful.

I turned a corner and was faced with another long hall. I looked down the hall to see a person laying there, with their head against the wall and an iPad on the ground beside the person. I jogged closer to him. My eyes went wide as I realized who it was. Oliver. I knew Scarlet was in the shooting arena. I've lived here for a long time now. Meaning I know that Oliver and Scarlet always go down to the shooting range together.

I heard faint talking as I crouched down beside Oliver. I put my two fingers on his neck, he has a pulse. I looked at him. He doesn't have any signs of physical pain. Chloroform?

My heart stopped as I felt a strong hand throw my gun out of my reach then immediately put a rag over my mouth and nose. Definitely chloroform. Such an old fashioned way.

My eyes began to water as my chest burned and tightened from me trying to hold my breath. Can't... let them... get Scarlet. My head was spinning as my chest was on fire. Finally, I took a breath. The smell was odd. The smell was if you mix red wine, rotting paper towels, and rum. It was chemically but sweet at the same time. The dizziness increased as the damp rag was pushed further into my face.

Within seconds I was out.

I came back early from my friends house. So 😬. Mostly because she was being fake and I was tired of it.