Cat's Best Friend

Early Update 😘
- Violette
______

Park Jimin spent his Thursday night trying to scrub sugar off of the bakery cat's dark fur. He didn't mind, not too much, because it took his mind off of the fact that Jungkook never texted him back after their date. Which, of course, wasn't really that big of a deal, Jimin guessed that Jungkook was probably just busy with work or maybe it rained and his number got smudged or he really did get attacked by a vampire.

Maybe. Or maybe he just didn't like him back?

Jimin didn't want to think too much of it, but his mind kept over analyzing since he'd woken up. So, when Jimin found Kookie in a bag of sugar he wasn't too mad about it. Taehyung and himself had looked away for one minute to take out a batch of chocolate brownie cupcakes from the oven, a combination Taehyung was very proud of, when the cat found its way into the kitchen, swiped at a gallon sized bag of sugar, and settled inside. It wasn't until closing that either of the boys noticed that Kookie was not only missing but apparently attempting to  establish himself as the new Map of Sweets pastry chef.

"Oi stop spraying me with water, spray the cat." Taehyung exclaimed, trying his best to hold onto Kookie's lean body while at the same time strangely angling away as not to get any water on himself. Jimin, on the other hand, was standing to the left of him in an apron and gloves, attempting to use the faucet to get the sugar out of the cat's fur like he was holding a loaded gun. Needless to say, the cat wasn't exactly happy about this, and so Jimin's attempts usually ended with the water landing on Taehyung.

"It's not my fault she keeps moving around! Hold her down better!" Jimin said back, his panic equal to Taehyung's own.

"You try holding onto her. She's like a broken kinder surprise."

Kookie hissed, snarling.

"Great, now you hurt her feelings." Jimin said, trying to calm her to down by cooing to which she scratched at his arm, looking like a feral rat with her fur all pressed down from the water.

"I did not." Taehyung countered. "She's always angry at me."

Before Jimin could respond, Taehyung was already up on his feet, staring at the open door to the entrance of the bakery's kitchen. "Hey, did you hear the bell?" Taehyung said, referring to the little gold dreamcatcher Seokjin had gifted them when they first opened the bakery. It had little bells stitched into its design so the boys had placed it on their door to catch people's dreams as they walked in while also work as a way to notify them when new customers stepped inside.

"Tae, it's past closing, there's no one there. You just want to get out of this."

"I should go check it out." Taehyung nodded, moving towards the door at a careful pace - waiting for either Kookie or Jimin to jump him on his way out. If Jimin wasn't trying to juggle the faucet and the cat in his hands, he probably would have.

"Hey! Hey get back here! If you leave I will remember this betrayal for the rest of my life! You will iCarly RUE THIS DAY. TAE!"

Kookie hissed again, curling her back out before shaking her head to get the water off of her fur causing it to go everywhere. Jimin's apron was soaked now in both water and sugar, Kookie looking completely unapologetic. Finally, Jimin, defeated, turned off the faucet. He watched the cat smugly lick her paw as he grabbed a throw towel, gently bringing it around her body to dry her off.

The cat side eyed him, not exactly ecstatic to become a cat burrito, but Jimin was just glad she didn't scratch him again. Looking down, the little red swipes were starting to look like an art piece, Kookie looked like she annoyingly agreed, eyeing Jimin's arms with what Jimin could swear was artistic pride.

When he was done he placed the towel over his shoulder, sliding down to the floor with his back against the cabinet where the unopened packs of sugar laid safely away. He rested his head against it, sighing as he closed his eyes with exhaustion. Taehyung and himself had a large order of cupcakes ordered for a wedding today and so managing the flow of regular customers while also baking over a thousand black and white cupcakes had taken a lot out of him.

Besides, the mental Olympics his anxiety had thrown at him didn't exactly help either. People wait three days to text, that's like a universal thing people do. Even so, he couldn't help constantly checking his phone to see if Jungkook had hit him up. Taehyung actually got so fed up with it that he had snatched the phone away half way through work, promising to give it back on the walk home.

Jimin sighed. His muscles ached all over and there was still the rest of the kitchen to clean. He felt like he was floating, the exhausting carrying him like waves on the ocean. I'll get up. Just one more second.

He was about to move when Kookie jumped from the sink and leaned against him, pressing her head affectionately into his arm while she purred. Any and all animosity he had aimed at the cat disappeared then. He swept her up in his arms and she gave a little hiss but didn't protest when he placed her on his lap. Instead, she cuddled in, and Jimin could feel her heartbeat against his leg as she licked the scratches on his arms.

"I forgive you," Jimin cooed, gently petting her fur. Kookie gave a sort of arrogant purr as if she knew he would all along. That no matter how many scratches she gave, one little nudge was all it took to wrap Jimin around her little paws. Jimin laughed at that, kissing the top of her head to which she gave another superior huff.

"You know, you remind me of someone. He doesn't exactly get coated in sugar often though." He said with a grin, thinking of having to wash confectioners sugar off of Jungkook's body and then suddenly feeling his cheeks get very red at the thought.

"Hey, Jimin!" Taehyung called out, sauntering back inside with a large bouquet of tulips in his hands. "I didn't see him, but your boyfriend left you another gift. I didn't know he knew where you worked."

"First off, not my boyfriend." Jimin said, "and second off, yeah, I didn't know he did either." Jimin moved Kookie off his lap and took the flowers from Taehyung's arms.

"You owe me ten dollars."

"What? Why?"

"For being right about the door bell and for emotional damage."

"Emotional damage? Really Tae?"

"It's very hurtful not being beloved, Jimin."

"Uh huh."

Taehyung shrugged, moving to clean the kitchen to make up for abandoning Jimin. Jimin looked at the flowers curiously. He felt glad but also strange, like something was off about the gift. He eyed the little tag card tied around the stems and frowned.

Don't be scared of taking risks, it read.

Jimin frowned as he set the flowers aside, moving to grab a vase to set them in. When he was done, he took the vase out and placed it on the counter of the bakery entrance but slipped the little card into his pocket to save when the boys got back their apartment. So you'll send flowers, Jimin thought, puzzled and slightly annoyed, glancing through his phone after having it handed back to him by Tae, but still won't text me?

______
A/N: I own a dog but I also have a soft spot for cats. Like, I really want one but my family doesn't which makes me super sad. Cats are assholes but they are also cute, you know??

Also any artist/song recs? Alt or Korean soloists please 💜💜 (because Cage the Elephant and Kang Daniel have taken over my life and now I crave more.)

Also. I think I'm in love with the Willy Wonka Tik Toker....but only when he's in the Willy Wonka cosplay....* I like it but not a lot *

- Violette