Placing Bets

After Jimin jokingly called Jungkook daddy, thinking that he really did something, Jungkook couldn't help but mess with the boy in return. He placed the food to his side, shifting so his weight was on the hand nearest Jimin, torso above the smaller boy's own, as he planted his free arm on the other side of Jimin's hip. Jungkook smirked as Jimin froze underneath him, some lettuce from the sandwich hanging from his mouth. Jungkook had a hard time not breaking into a smile at that fact alone.

Jimin walking into Jungkook's life was like someone handing out free puppies. First, it confused you why someone would want to give away puppies, but then you take one and it grows on you and then suddenly all you can think about is how strange life was before you had the puppy. Not that Jungkook thought of Jimin as a dog, just that each time he saw him he was surprised at the lightness he felt in his chest and each time he didn't he couldn't believe how often he thought about him.

Jungkook moved his hand so that it hugged Jimin's hip underneath the pink fuzzy sweater he wore, leaning into his neck with his lips. It was hard to keep a straight face when Jimin smiled sweetly, smelling of mint and strawberries, but Jungkook managed. Jimin teasingly calling him daddy as a joke gave Jungkook an idea and so he brushed his lips against Jimin's ear. Jungkook side eyed Jimin's reaction, his chest tightened at the dark red coating his usually pale cheeks.

"Why wait?" Jungkook asked, mustering up his best cocky, hoarse, AXE Spray Commercial voice. Jimin gasped, lightly punching Jungkook's chest using some very colorful choice of words. Ungrateful hot llama being one of them. Jungkook released Jimin and fell onto his back in the grass smiling as Jimin caught his breath from how close they had been.

Jimin, after taking a sip of water to recover and then splashing some of it on Jungkook for payback, leaned down beside the brunette boy on the grass. With his hands behind his neck, Jungkook's elbow was aligned with Jimin's eyes. Jimin, meaning to make some sort of clever comeback to combat the hammering of his heart and white noise in his head from having Jungkook so close, felt the words disapte at the sight of the thick red scar on Jungkook's skin.

"Jungkook," Jimin said, catching Jungkook's attention for how soft his voice had gone, so quite Jungkook almost thought he imagined it. Jungkook didn't jump when Jimin's soft fingers brushed along the scar on his elbow, but he could feel his chest tighten and his hands buzz with energy. He kept his dark eyes on the clouds passing above them and fixated on a particularly funny looking leaf to not set Jimin off in any way. The gentle trail of Jimin's fingers exploring the scar with such care felt special and secure in a way Jungkook had never experienced before - hadn't thought he possibly could in a while. Not since his dad died, not since....

He was scared that if he moved even an inch, Jimin might stop.

"Yeah?" Jungkook croaked out, cursing himself when Jimin stopped brushing the scar. He made a mental note to get hurt more often at the construction sight.

"Why did you leave for a week? I thought maybe - I don't know - maybe I did something?"

Jungkook's eyes widened, surprised Jimin noticed. Despite himself, he grinned, shifting so that he propped himself up with an elbow and could see Jimin laying down in a fetal position beside him. His blond hair sweeping his wide eyes, his lips holding a small, nervous smile. "So you were looking for me? I'm flattered Jimin, I know I'm a masterpiece of human creation but if I knew people were coming to observe me I would have looked into museum work instead of construction."

"You're a dick, a massive one."

"I thought we already went over that."

Jungkook grinned and Jimin poked him again an with annoyed flare. Jungkook decided then to take a chance, not sure how he'd recover if Jimin refused his move, but he outstretched an arm as he laid back down on his back, the clouds passing above them. Jimin, with little hesitation, cuddled up into it.

The boy didn't make a big deal out of curling up in Jungkook's arm, but Jungkook made sure to flex as Jimin's head laid down where his shoulder and chest met. It was so natural, Jimin next to him like this, that Jungkook felt scared to breathe. It was sort of like when your parent's mean cat sits on your lap and you don't want to move because you know it won't sit there again.

"Before my dad, before he um, passed." Jungkook started, his voice finding rhythm again as he brought up his fingers to lightly brush through Jimin's hair, waiting a second to see if Jimin pulled away but he instead closed his eyes to it which made Jungkook grin. "He fell into a lot of debt. I have a ... I guess you can call it a second job along with Yoongi's construction work to cover it. An," Jungkook stopped, frowning, "old friend needed some help during the day. I still worked with Yoongi but that must have been after your shift."

Jimin's fingers were back to tracing new scars he found across Jungkook's forearm and along his collar bone. They were just faint small scars, nothing like the one on his elbow, but each touch sent fireworks through Jungkook's veins that he didn't know what to do with. Jimin had his lips between his teeth, his brows furrowed cutely. Jungkook thought if Jimin were a lion, he looked like he was figuring out how to roar - or maybe sneeze.

"I'm sorry," Jimin replied, "about your dad."

"It's okay I'm over - I'm processing it." Jungkook said, surprisingly himself that he changed his answer. He got the good old "I'm sorry for your loss" at least once a week from people who weren't really sorry his father had passed, just uncomfortable with the sad news. Jimin on the other hand, he spoke like Yoongi did. Like he wasn't apologizing for the loss but for the pain it must have caused. It was strange and scary, having someone make you unravel so easily the way Jimin did. Exposing Jungkook's armor quicker than anyone he'd ever known save for Yoongi, and it was terrifying. No stranger should be able to do that.

"Jimin, is it okay if I -" Kiss you? Jungkook wanted to ask but then dropped the thought, the words stuck in his throat. He didn't want to rush it, didn't want to ruin the moment between them. Most of all, he was nervous Jimin would say no, which was fine and Jungkook would respect it, of course he would, they barely knew each other, but he also wanted to kiss him so bad that it hurt. They'd kissed before, sure, but that had been before either of them felt any meaning to it. It was just Jungkook messing with someone he thought was cute. Now, now it would have meaning, at least for him.

He looked down at Jimin, wanting to see if he registered the unspoken words, but Jimin had fallen asleep on Jungkook's chest, curled up into his side as the sun soaked both of them. His delicate fingers had found their way to the red scar on Jungkook's elbow and laid there as his breath began to rhymically hit Jungkook like a soft breeze.

Jungkook smiled to himself, a genuine smile, which then instantly grew into an even wider grin. He did his best not to laugh, his body wanting to let out the energy coursing through him in any way possible. He managed not to though, closing his eyes as his hand moved from Jimin's hair to his shoulder, drawing little circles as Jimin slept and thought about how long it had been since he had felt so happy next to somebody. He swallowed, afraid that somehow, someday, he'd mess it all up.

_______
A/N:
HAPPY 5k!!!! THAT IS SO INSANE I CAN'T BELIEVE WE HIT SO MANY READS!!!
Seriously, thank you guys so much. I hope you are having fun with this fic!!!

5k Giveback:
Music Story Board
Lemon Squeezy - Placing Bets

5k Giveback: Music Story Board Lemon Squeezy - Placing Bets

- Violette