Double Take

"I'm not kissing you again." Jimin stuttered out, putting his hands up in defense as the beautiful brunette boy frowned for a moment before bursting out with the sweetest sounding laughter Jimin had ever heard. It surprised him each time, the sound of his voice. It's honey like smoothness didn't seem to match the stranger's large, sun kissed and hardened exterior. It was like hearing a lion purr.

"I'm glad you're at least talking to me then." The construction worker said as he wiped some dirt off on his neon orange vest. His finger's seemed calloused, palms wrapped in half fallen white bandages, the gauze on his right arm snaking all the way up to his elbow. Jimin frowned, realizing that the bandages weren't there a day ago - not that he actually cared of course. Because he didn't. So what if he got hurt? The boy was a prick and pricks get pricked by sharp pointy things that are equally as prickly as the prick.

"Really?" Jimin asked, rolling his eyes a bit as he tried to walk past the him, but the boy caught his forearm to which Jimin was about to sassily oppose before his body was pulled away from stepping into some freshly set concrete. Jimin gave a sheepish smile, shaking off the stranger's hand and muttering a small thank you under his breath to which the boy only smiled wider.

Jimin couldn't help but try and guess his age. He had such a youthful face and a sort of energy to him that radiated like pure excitement. Not over his job or the weather or even Jimin but rather a genuine buzz towards the world in general. Jimin caught sight of the pale boy Taehyung was into working on drilling in a certain screw into a beam behind the two of them. He thought about how Tae would much rather be here than Jimin at the moment. He was always better with people.

"Yeah really," the construction worker responded with a grin. "I'm always glad to talk. Talking leads to kissing, you know." The brunette said with a wink, a confident smile stretching across his face playfully. He wiggled his brows, trying to get Jimin to laugh.

"What happened?" Jimin asked, glancing down at the bandages on the brunette's right forearm - concerned but also wanting to steer away from the brunette's flirting. If he was flirting, Jimin honestly couldn't tell. It seemed like he was but then again maybe that's just how he talked. If you catcall people all day maybe you forget how regular talking works.

Jimin furrowed his brows, pouting. He saw the smallest hints of red bleeding through the white bandages. It must be fresher than I thought. It seemed strange, out of place like a thread sticking out of a new shirt. The injury not matching the bright energy of this individual before him. He meant to leave, but the youth on the boy's face got the best of Jimin and the blond haired boy couldn't seem to get past the idea of him being in pain. Like when a kid scrubs their knee or gets a bee sting and all you want to do is pull out your looney toons bandaids so that they smile again.

The brunette flashed Jimin a confused look before slowly lifting up his right arm in a strangely adorable fashion. Like when someone guesses correctly on a math problem they had no idea how to solve. Jimin could feel himself blush slightly but did his best to try and not let the small smile on his face show. The construction worker only laughed sweetly again. "Don't worry beautiful, I've had worse."

The boy shifted suddenly he stepped closer to Jimin, placing a hand to lean on the metal structure beside him. It wasn't until the guy's shoulders alone blocked out the sun, casting Jimin instantly in shadow, that Jimin gathered how tall he was - or rather how short Jimin seemed next to him. "Worst thing that's happened to me recently was that I kissed an insanely cute guy and then he ran away before I could get his name."

Jimin blushed, again, because how could you not before swallowing. He cracked a smile, trying to ease the air between them before letting out a small laugh of his own. "Yeah okay," he muttered, shaking his head with slight disbelief. "And I crushed some cupcakes recently. That was a devastating experience. We held a funeral, you know. All the other cupcakes had to attend."

"It's you, in case you didn't know." The construction worker said, ignoring Jimin's sarcasm. He straightened up again, giving some space between the two of them. He flashed Jimin a grin as he reached down to lift the beam back up onto his shoulder. His pale friend had cast them an impatience glance which the brunette caught, signaling him back to work. "You were the insanely cute guy."

"Look," Jimin said with a frown as he felt his phone buzz from his back pocket - probably Taehyung asking where the hell he was. "The bus routes are blocked so I need to take the train to get to work. That means I'll be passing by this street a lot and I'd appreciate it if you -" Jimin swallowed, "look I get that catcalling is something you guys do to pass time. Doesn't mean I approve of it, it's gross, but I get it. Just, I don't want to be a part of it." Jimin finished, feeling flushed.

"Wait what?" the brunette boy said, looking genuinely taken aback.

"The whistling, the hollering, the flirting. I don't know. It makes me uncomfortable. I have to pass by here for the next couple days, but please just leave me alone if you're just gonna toy with me."

"Wait, back up. I wasn't making fun of you. I genuinely think you're cute. I'm sorry if my friends went overboard when we kissed yesterday but I didn't ask for a kiss to harass you - or at least I didn't see it that way."

Jimin didn't reply right away, looking into his features as if he could discern the truth from his pores - but nothing gave. He just looked surprised and a little concerned, more so worried about Jimin's reaction than his own. The brunette rubbed the back of his neck, glancing back at his pale friend who was yelling at him to get back to work before turning to face Jimin with an apologetic smile for having to wrap up their conversation.

He outstretched his injured hand, "If I agree to your terms, can I at least know your name? That way it's not catcalling because I already know who you are. We can say hi to each other, like friends." When Jimin didn't reply, the boy dropped his hand to his side awkwardly, a glimmer of disappointment flashing in his eyes. "That's cool, I get it. But mine's Jungkook, if you change your mind about the friend thing."

Jimin nodded and Jungkook blushed, which seemed strange from all his bravado he always sauntered about with. Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck again, his eyes round and sad, his smile slipping as color coated his embarrassed cheeks. Jimin almost thought he imagined seeing that as Jungkook's expression instantly flicked back into an easy smile, though his gaze felt more removed.

"So no name then?" Jungkook chuckled and Jimin wasn't sure what made him do it, but he looked at the bleeding bandage on Jungkook's arm and his heart gave out.

Everyone needs friends, right?

"Jimin." Jimin replied and it was almost worth it for the boyish grin that spread across Jungkook's face. Against his dark hair and sun kissed skin, his teeth flashed like stars, the boy's golden flecked eyes dancing with excitement. He outstretched his hand again and Jimin laughed as he took it, surprised at the lightness of his laughter and even more surprised at just how much he liked the name Jungkook.

______
A/N: I have a specific feels playlist, like the type you listen to when the world is falling apart, and the title of it rhymes with "core." Just thought'd I'd share 😂😘

Speaking of music, I started making storyboards for chapter chunks!! Songs that represent the section or that set the mood for certain chapters
.
.
.
Chapter [Color Me Blue] - [Double Take] Music Story Board:
💜 For fun because why not 💜
HAPPY 2K

Chapter [Color Me Blue] - [Double Take] Music Story Board: 💜 For fun because why not 💜HAPPY 2K

- Violette