XXXVI: Reality Comes Crashing Down

I had a rough night. I was thinking of so much. 

I wiped my face and went down the stairs. On my way down, I heard voices talking about something. It was my brother. I think he was talking about dad's case.

"He framed dad! I've found evidence to support it." Roux says frantically.

His tone makes me nervous.

I silently go down and the moment I do, there is a knock on the door. All heads are whipped to the door. I go into the kitchen and see my mom. She greets me, kissing my forehead, "good morning baby. Have some breakfast, I'll wake your sister."

Roux and dad turn to each other. The latter speaks, "I'll get the door."

The knocking continues. Roux sighs ans sits down next to me.

"What were you guys talking about?"

Roux turns to me, "nothing, Tulila. It's just work again."

"BETHANY!"

The two of us turned to our father who shouted for our mother. I knit my brows at the men who were outside. Roux stood up.

My mom called out as she descended from the stairs.

My dad turned to me and Roux then to the men outside. They speak and nod. Dad closes the door.

"What's going on?" I ask the same time my brother says, "who are they?"

My dad walks closer and meets my mother who is holding on my sister's hand.

"I have to leave," he says, placing a hand on my shoulder. My mom knits her brows but says nothing. She lets go of Periwinkle to embrace my father.

"Where are you going dad?" Periwinkle asked.

He crouches down and kisses her forehead, "I have to go to New York and finish something for work."

Instantly, I turned to Roux and knew what was happening.

"Oh! Can I come?"

"No, baby. I have to do this by myself."

She whines softly, "But I miss my friends."

"I know baby," my dad says, "you gotta wait a bit longer, okay. We'll be able to come home soon."

I feel my heart go heavy.

My dad stands and hugs me. My breathing grows heavy. He then embraces Roux. Lastly he kisses my mother, "give my regards to your mother."

Mom nods.

Dad walks out. The two men outside I realize are officers. My eyes water. He waves goodbye as he is escorted to a police car. They tell him his rights.

"Is dad working with the police?" Periwinkle asks.

Mom nods and pulls her inside, "yes baby. Come on, let's go have breakfast."

I speak, mostly to myself, "I-I have to go to school."

***

My day goes by with a blur. I have no appetite for neither food nor company.

The girls tried talking to mr but relented in my silence. Kai tried coversing until his last resort, but when I snapped at him, he pulled back.

Suddenly, English class was too much for me. I excused myself. Javier watched as I exited.

I walked down hallway prime and thought of having a cry in the bathroom. I thought it would be bad since people go inside regardless of the time and I'd be caught.