XVI: How To Look Fabulous Through Confusion

"I'm telling you, the kings joined the football team because of Lilac!" Gail exclaimed, sitting atop my shared table with Kai, who happened to be catching some z's with his head and arms on the vacant side of the table.

"But don't you think it's too petty, even for them, to join the football team all to catch Lilac's attention?" Nina furrowed her brows, making Gail roll her eyes. "Honey, they're the kings of petty if you've forgotten."

"Sure but, to what gain?" she questioned again.

"I only see it this way, they 1) want a reason to approach her when she's cheering Tommy in the bleachers, 2) want a reason to gang up on her on a singular occasion, 3) they want to flaunt their physiques in unnecessary ways because they're all arrogant farts."

Nina and Gail looked at each other with looks sold with those reasons, while Cece groaned and rolled her eyes. "Forget that, it shouldn't matter what the reason is, what we should do now is prepare Lilac for the worst."

I gave Cece a look, "The worst?"

The dark haired girl nodded slowly with a sympathetic look upon her face. "Didn't you tell me the wonder twins are actually nice to you?"

I nodded, "They aren't actually bad people."

The three girls groaned simultaneously, making me give a look of worry. "What?"

"The Vanstrans aren't bad people, Lilac." Nina explained, making me give a look of confusion. "Then why--" "They're actually really nice people." she added, "And it's the fact they're nice people that follow the Kings around that make them unbearable and worse than them, to be honest."

I frowned, seeing their point. "They know what they do and how much it hurts people, but they do it regardless of their moral compass, if they even really have one." Gail added, making me nod slowly. "But Tommy's friends with them..." "Tommy's friends with them on the field, but he doesn't really hang out much with anyone, other than sleeping beauty over here, outside the field or school." Nina explained, pointing to Kai. "Why do you think it's only us during lunch, and no Tommy?"

Cece waved her hands in the air and huffed, "Okay, since that's established, Lilac, I'm going to teach you how slay the kings without the sword." I raised my brows skeptically and nodded slowly. She rolled her eyes exaggeratedly and chuckled, "Okay, I'm going to pretend you didn't just do that and doubt me."

Just as she was about to start her tale of slaying, Mrs. Bedivere walked in, making everyone that was off their seats scram and get set. I shook Kai off my shoulder causing him to jolt up and straighten himself up.

"Okay, it's time to do a pair project." she announced, causing most of the class to groan, apart from me and Kai who turned to each other and high fived. He yawned and blinked rapidly. "What were you girls talking about?"

I chuckled, "Nothing much."

"It's due this Friday and is fundamentally a report on our lesson on works like literature and film set and based upon world war II. Chose a book, other than Anne Frank's diary, and point out the important aspects of it in a power point presentation."

I turned to Kai who was falling asleep with his head on his hand. I nudged him, "We should do The Book Thief." He jolted up and turned to me, "Sure-sure--what?"

I chuckled and raised a brow, "Gosh, what time do you even sleep."

"When," he groaned, "I get sleepy."

"Javier wants to do The Sound Of Music

"Javier wants to do The Sound Of Music." Cece groaned as she stuffed a croissant in her mouth, making us laugh.

"What's wrong with The Sound Of Music?" I asked, making Cece glare at me, "Oh nothing besides the fact he only chose it to annoy me!"

I furrowed my brows, just as I felt a light kick on my shin. I turned to Nina who then mouthed, "She was in a play of it and looked horrible." making me drop my jaw and nod slowly. "Anyway, I'm over that and am ready to tell you what I was going to tell you in English class." 

"What were you going to tell her in English class?" Kai repeated, making Cece glare at him, making him raise his hands in surrender. 

"Right, well the first step is to always be pretty."

I knit my brows and nodded in disapproval, "Okay, I take that as a personal stab to my non-pretty self." The girls chuckled. "No, I mean is that you have to act pretty." Cece added, clearing her throat then counting on her fingers, "Pretty powerful, pretty opinionated, pretty forward, pretty courageous, and pretty... well pretty." she bat her lashes. "The last part you obtain by being yourself, girl."

"Okay." I dragged out. 

"Never let your guard down. You have to always expect the need to talk back, though blabbering is definitely a no-no. You need to be firm with your punches and don't ever let them punch you, verbally or otherwise.

"Then you need to be consistent. You can't be all 'get away from me' and 'leave me alone' then be all 'fine, follow me around, see if I care'. If they keep pestering and persisting, ignore them; they hate more than anything not being able to get someone's attention, so don't ever give then the satisfaction.

"Lastly, don't ever be afraid of them honey, because as much as they can get under your skin and suck out your blood, they are only human. Humans get tired and lose interest, and so will they eventually."

I nodded at this and then stood from my place. "Alright then. I'm going to get some cafeteria food since you guys seem to always bring your own lunch."

"I'm going to get some chum too." Kai stated, following after me.

The cafeteria food here was wonderful in all honesty. It was what made this already amazing place twice that and do the same thing to my appetite.

"Lookey 'ere boys, is Kai and Lilac a thing?" a voice howled as I handed my plate to the cafeteria lady who then placed glorious lasagna on my plate. I didn't look over my shoulder but I knew that the voice belong to Javier. "You should try today's dessert, it's to die for." Kai spoke to me with a smile, ignoring as well the remark directed to us.

"Hey, bonita, are you ignoring me? Did I do something wrong to break your heart?" he pestered along the mumbles of whoever was surrounding him. I felt Kai moved me forward slightly, so I did just that, only to be grabbed by the wrist by a tan hand. "Hey, Lilac." he spoke, making Kai grip his wrist all the same and give him a look. "Let her go."

I pulled away just before Javier could remark, in turn making Kai pull away and pull me away with him. Javier scoffed and chuckled dryly, "Ay, why is it so hard to get her alone?"