Solivagant (P)

Magic is to be feared

Magic is to be feared. It is a wild, unpredictable thing, and anywhere it goes it brings mayhem and destruction. And those that wield it are even more dangerous.

At least, that's what King Soren claimed when he hunted down and killed nearly every magic-user in Eldernia. The only ones he spared were sworn into Soren's service as elite agents that have one purpose, and one purpose only - find any remaining magic-users and give them a choice: join them... or die.

Asher, a sixteen-year-old boy, has managed to conceal his power for years. But when his secret is revealed, there will be no more hiding.

Solivagant:
A lone wanderer; marked by solitary wandering

Title: Solivagant
Author: dreams_of_silver
Genre: Fantasy
Chapters Read: Prologue - 6

Cover & Title

Your cover is awesome. There's no doubt about that. It has just the right mysterious, magical feel that fits perfectly with your book. You chose your designer well.

The title is cool. I'm a personal fan of unusual single-word titles, though that may be mostly because I use them myself. But I guess my issue is that it only really makes sort-of sense with your story when you know the definition. I know you state it at the end of your summary, but... it just feels a little vague. I'm not saying change it - it's a cool word - they're just my initial thoughts.

Summary

I like it. It introduces your world and sets up the way magic fits into it, which is instantly interesting. You introduce us to our main character and his situation. It ticks all the boxes, and as a fan of all things fantasy, it makes me excited to read.

One thing I spotted - not a major issue, but something worth pointing out - is this sentence:

The only ones he spared were sworn into Soren's service as elite agents that have one purpose, and one purpose only - find any remaining magic-users and give them a choice: join them... or die.

The content is great, but it just feels a bit too long to me. I think if you split it up - maybe with a period in place of the dash, and/or isolating the last few words for impact - it would just flow a little better. The 'join them' is a little unclear, since you just referred to the magic-users as 'them' a few words before. If you just used 'join' it sounds alright, or you could phrase it in a different way entirely. Up to you.

Also, in reference back to the title section, the definition at the end feels a little tagged on. It doesn't seem to link with your main summary. If you could slide it into the summary perhaps, or at least add something that connects with the idea of being solitary. Maybe you could develop the section about Asher and add it in, since there isn't a great deal about him there at the moment.