Part 41: Father & Son

"Tee, wake up." Tharn woke up the boatman who fell asleep from waiting from them. "Almost 6 P.M. now. We need to go back now."

"Sir, yes sir!" The funny boatman got up pretending he didn't fall asleep. He stood up quickly. "My son's must be starving now."

"Ahhh you're married already?" Tharn said.

"No. My girlfriend died when she gave birth. "

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." Both Tharn and Type said. They feel pity to the boatman who is already a single father.

Just awhile ago, they talk about having a child. What a coincidence.

"How old is your son?" Type asked.

"One year and 4 months old."

"Who's taking care of him now?" Tharn asked.

"My neighbor. Today I'm lucky I found someone who will take care of him. Usually, I can't find someone who will look after him when I go to work. So, usually he goes with me." He showed a crib on the boat.

"Don't do that. He might get sick. He is still young." Type said.

"If I don't do it, how will we survive? This is the only work I have. Today there are lots of tourists because its weekend so I'm working. But on weekdays, no customers. No customers, no income."

The couple looked at each other. They feel pity to the boatman.

"Can we see your son?" Type said. Tharn was surprised.

"Yes, you can. I'm going home anyway after I send you to the big island. Our house is just beside those cottages." He pointed the group of cottages they are about to reach.

"It's good that you have this boat." Tharn said.

"No. This boat is not mine. It's the property of the owner of the cottages. I worked there as one of the boatmen."

"How much do you earn a day?" Type asked.

"It depends. I tell to the owner how much I get each day and he decides the amount of money he gives me. If today I get 1,000 Baht, he surely gives me 300 Baht."

"What?" Tharn said with disbelief.

"Where's your family? Parents?" Tharn asked.

"I'm an orphan. According to the old people here, I was found at the seashore one early morning. They said I was about 3 or 4 years old then. I was left by my parents. I don't really know if I have parents. I was crying very hard, they said. I couldn't remember anything."

"Oh my goodness. What a heartless mother could do that to her own son?" Type said.

"I was 14 years old when I escaped from the orphanage. They wanted to get me back, but I refused to stay there. I wanted to live a normal life. And so that's my story. So sad but I'm strong."

"Where's your girlfriend's family?" Tharn asked.

"She was also an orphanage. We grew up together in that same orphanage. She worked there as an assistant chef. When they found out, she was having an affair with me, they fired her.

"What a pity." Type whispered to Tharn. He couldn't believe the hardships Tee has been through.

Tharn and Type found out that Tee is a part-time boatman of the owner of the beach resort they checked in.

His improvised home is just opposite the hotel of the resort.

His son, came running towards him when he saw his young father.

The child is so cute. His skin is as not as dark as Tee. He has a light skin complexion. Tee got his dark complexion due to sun exposure. But they are totally much alike.

"He can only say papa." Tee said. "Boom, say sawasdee krub", Tee taught his son to greet the couple.

The toddler is not shy. He put his hands together and tried to speak "a aa-- e ap!"

Tharn carried the toddler. Type looked at Tharn carrying a toddler. In his mind "Tharn wants to have a son. I can feel he wants to have a son."

"Isn't he cute, Type?" Tharn asked the speechless Type.

Tharn passed the kid to Type. Type carried it. He doesn't like toddler but wheb he carried the toddler, he feels something strange. He feels pity to the kid.

"Look at the two of you! You look like the real father and son!" Tharn said with joy.

"Really?" Type finally uttered.

"Yes, darling!" Tharn pat his shoulder.

Again, Type said to himself, "What if we adopt this little boy? Would I make Tharn happier. Would our lives be happier than now?"

"So, I have to report now to my big boss. Come to papa, Boom!" Tee got his som from Type.

"Wait Tee. Let's go to our cottage first. I will give you our payment."

Tee followed the couple to their rented cottage.

"I'll re-heat the food. Join us with our dinner." Tharn said.

Tee said, "Oh no, thanks."

"Don't be shy, Tee. You did a good job today. You said you are the best boatman, right? Yes! You are indeed the best boatman, and the best father in the world. So please join us with our dinner." Type said while opening the refrigerator.

Tee, though he was shy, nodded, "Thank you, Tharn, Type. It's my first time to do this to my customers. I feel really shy."

They finished the dinner at exacy 6:18 P.M.

Tharn got his wallet and handed 4,000 Baht to Tee. Type got his wallet, too, and handed 2,000 Baht.

Tee shed tears in gratitude. "This is too much. 1,000 Baht is enough." He tried to return the 5,000 Baht.

Type took the 5,000 Baht and put forcefully to Tee's pocket. "This is for your baby. Keep it. Don't show this to your big boss."

Tee, removed the 5,000 Baht from his pocket, and put on the table. "I can't accept it. My big boss is so kind to us. I don't want to lie to him. If he found out, I will get fired."

"It's OK if he fires you." Type said.

"What? No! How can I take care of my son if I get fired? This is the only job I have."

"You have to quit your job here! You mist work at our beach resort. We own a beach resort in my hometown. You can live there with your son for free. And I can help you take care of your son." Type seriously said.

Tharn is speechless. He admires Type persistence to help Tee and his son.

"Here is my business card. You can call me when you are ready. Believe me. This is not the life your son deserves. He deserves more than this. If you love your son, think about his future." Type said.

Tee is trembling with disbelief. He met the kindest person on earth.

"Type is right, Tee. We will support you and your son." Tharn pat his shoulder.

‐-----------------to be continued---------------------------